Mr Ilankovan is a Consultant Maxillofacial, Head and Neck Surgeon. He has worked as a NHS Consultant at Poole Hospital since 1993. He qualified in Dentistry in Sri Lanka and obtained his Medical Degree at the Welsh National School of Medicine in Cardiff. He holds Fellowships in Dentistry, Maxillofacial Surgery and General Surgery of both Edinburgh and English Royal College of Surgeons.
He has extensive training in facial plastics, head and neck reconstruction and cosmetic surgery. His post graduate training took place on Wales, the West of Scotland and the North East. He was also trained at the renowned Mayo Clinic under Professor Jackson.
He set up a local cancer charity, About Face with the help of his patients and friends for the benefit of Dorset and Hampshire cancer patients. He has established 3 cleft lip and palate units in Southern India which are now training centres for medical staff from the United Kingdom and other European Countries. He is a visiting Professor of Head and Neck Cancer at the Beijing Cancer Hospital.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Velupillai Ilankovan at Nuffield Health
- Mole removal
- Reconstructive surgery
- Orthopantomogram (OPG)
- Removing wisdom teeth
- Chin reshaping (Genioplasty)
- Craniofacial reconstruction
52 publications to date.
- Fellow European Association of Cosmetic Surgery
- Fellow British Association of Cosmetic Surgery
- Fellow European Association of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery
- Fellow International Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Fellow British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons (Eng &Ed)
Other posts held
- Consultant Maxillofacial /Head and Neck Surgeon, Poole Hospital NHS Trust
Mr Velupillai Ilankovan does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Velupillai Ilankovan does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Velupillai Ilankovan does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.