I qualified in 1985 from Guy’s Hospital, London University and worked in Birmingham, Sheffield and Leeds before taking up a consultant post in York in 1996, specialising in general, paediatric ophthalmology and adult motility.
I have audited results on cataract surgery over many years, as well as various forms of strabismus surgery such as consecutive exotropia.
I have published 55 peer review papers, made 67 oral/poster presentations at scientific meetings, and given 86 lectures, in York, nationally and internationally.
I was head examiner for FRCOphth Part 2 2011-2016 and head examiner for Refraction certificate 2008 to 2011. I am currently the Chair of the examinations committee. A major commitment has been re-structuring the Laser and Refractive surgery examination.
I was a clinical tutor from 1996 to 2000 before being made Clinical Director, until 2004. I also sat on the paediatric ophthalmology sub-committee from 2005 to 2011.
Research interests include refraction accuracy, reading, maximising visual potential in cataract patients and on call. I am also interested in various models of healthcare delivery.
Cataract, Paediatric ophthalmology, Adult strabismus
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Robert Taylor at Nuffield Health
- Cataract Surgery
- YAG Capsulotomy
- Squint surgery
• R H Taylor. Surgery for consecutive exotropia: An audit of a decade. Transactions of ESA, Bruges 2011, p201
• Bradbury JA, Taylor RH. Severe Complications of Strabismus Surgery. J AAPOS 2013;17(1): 59-63
• SA Maguire, PO Watts, AD Shaw, S Holden, RH Taylor, et al Retinal haemorrhages and related findings in abusive and non-abusive head trauma: a systematic review. Eye 2013; 27, 28–36;
• Griffiths P, Henderson L, Barrett B, Taylor RH "Treating reading difficulties with colour: UK Charities should present a more balanced view" BMJ 2014;349:g5160
• Burne R, Taylor RH. Monitoring propranolol treatment in periocular infantile haemangioma. Eye 2014;28(11):1281
• Buck D, Ali N, Tiffin P, Taylor R, et al Child related and parent related quality of life in childhood intermittent exotropia: findings from an observational cohort study.. Ophthalmology Research: an international journal. 2015; 3(3): 59
• Buck D, Hogan V, Powell C, Sloper J, Speed C, Taylor R, Tiffin P, Clarke M. Surrendering control, or nothing to lose: Parents’ preferences about participation in a randomised trial of childhood strabismus surgery. Clinical Trials 2015;:1-10
• Philip G.Griffiths, Robert H.Taylor, et al. The effect of coloured overlays and lenses on reading: a systematic review of the literature. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics 2016;36(5):519-544
- Fellow of the Royal College Ophthalmologists, London
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow
- British Medical Association
- Royal Society of Medicine
- United Kingdom and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- American Association for Paediatric Ophthalmologists and Strabismus Surgeons
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- European Strabismological Association
- York Medical Society
- Oxford Ophthalmological Congress
- North of England Ophthalmological Society
- Member of the Yorkshire Eye Specialists LLP
Other post held
- Consultant Paediatric / General Ophthalmology, York, England
- Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Grenada Medical School
- Member Consultant Eye Surgeon Partnership
Insurers Mr Robert Taylor works with
Mr Robert Taylor works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Medical Care Direct
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
- AXA PPP International
Mr Robert Taylor has the following interest in this hospital/ another Nuffield Health hospital or the company:
Mr Robert Taylor is the Medical Advisory Committee Chair for Nuffield Health York Hospital. No remuneration is paid for this role, however use of medical secretary services, administrative accommodation and consulting room used in connection with it are not charged for. Services used in connection with the provision of Mr Robert Taylor's private practice are charged at market rates.
Mr Robert Taylor has the following interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital:
Mr Robert Taylor holds a 1/11 (9%) financial interest in equipment which is owned by the Yorkshire Eye Specialists and used at the hospital.
Mr Robert Taylor does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.