Mr Freeman completed his medical degree at Guy’s, King’s and St. Thomas’ Medical School in London before completing registrar training and an MSc on the Guy’s Hospital rotation. He was selected for highly regarded fellowship posts first in London focusing on foot and ankle surgery and then in Brighton developing skills in complex trauma.
His elective practice includes the full scope of foot and ankle surgery with a special interest in minimally invasive surgery and arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery. He has experience in joint replacement of both the ankle and the big toe joint and employs a number of novel treatments to manage common problems such as plantar fasciitis, achilles problems and forefoot disorders.
He has a particular interest in managing sports injuries and has experience treating professional athletes including Premiership football and rugby players.
Freeman is also trained in complex trauma and works in a Major Trauma Centre
where he specialises in lower limb injuries. He regularly accepts tertiary
referrals from across the region and manages cases of limb reconstruction,
deformity correction and bone infection.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Richard Freeman at Nuffield Health
- Ingrown toenail (and ingrown toenail surgery)
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Fusion of big toe
- Subtalar fusion
- Bone Graft
- Toe surgery
- Tibial osteotomy
- Trigger Point Injections
- Triple Fusion
- Trauma reconstruction
- Image guided joint injections
- Toe joint fusion
- Bunion surgery (bunionectomy)
- Ankle ligament repair
- Forefoot reconstructive surgery
- Flat foot correction
- Keller's arthroplasty
- Subtalar arthroscopy
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Toe joint replacement
- Cartilage reconstruction
- Ankle fusion
- Trauma Surgery
- Ankle replacement
- Meta-analysis and suggested guidelines for prevention of venous thromboembolism (VTE) in foot and ankle surgery. KSTA 2016
- The efficacy of tranexamic acid in hip hemiarthroplasty surgery: An observational cohort study. Injury 2015
- Plantaris excision in the treatment of non-insertional Achilles tendinopathy in elite athletes. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2014
- The accuracy of internet images of glenoid labral injuries. ARCOS 2013
- Inaccuracy of the AO Expert Lateral Femoral Nail Recon Jig a case series. Injury 2012
- Surgeon administered regional blocks for daycase forefoot surgery Foot & Ankle Surgery 2012
- Book chapter entitled ‘Non-insertional Achilles Tendinosis’ in “The Foot and Ankle; Advanced Arthroscopic Surgical Techniques” editors J. Stone, J Kennedy and M Glazebrook published by Slack for the Arthroscopy Association of North America.
- British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Royal Sussex County
- Hospital and The Princess Royal Hospital Haywards Heath
Insurers Mr Richard Freeman works with
Mr Richard Freeman works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Richard Freeman does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Richard Freeman does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Richard Freeman does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.