Raj grew up in Birmingham and went on to study at Manchester University. He obtained a BSc honours degree in Immunology and Oncology in 1991 and graduated as a doctor in 1994. Following his general surgical training in Bristol and Birmingham he was selected for Registrar training in Trauma and Orthopaedics on the Welsh training programme. During this time he developed an interest in basic science research and was awarded a national grant, which enabled him to pursue full-time research and obtain a doctorate (MD).
Raj then underwent Fellowship Training in Hand Surgery at internationally renowned units in Nottingham and Sydney, Australia.
He is on the specialist GMC register as an accredited Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon and is a Consultant at Bristol Royal Infirmary.
Raj is dedicated to advancing the field of hand and orthopaedic surgery in order to improve patient care and continues to be actively involved in research, teaching, training and appraisal.
- Trapizectomy for thumb osteoarthritis
- Metacarpo-phalangeal and proximal inter-phalangeal joint replacement
- Metacarpo-phalangeal and proximal inter-phalangeal joint fusion
- Deformity correct
- Flexor and Extensor tendon surgery
- Hand fractures and trauma
- Surgery for wrist instability
- Surgery for Keinbock’s disease
- Open reduction internal Fixation of Scaphoid fractures
- Wrist arthrodesis
- Wrist replacement surgery
- Radial tunnel decompression
- Elbow trauma
- Elbow replacement surgery
- Elbow fractures and trauma
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Raj Bhatia at Nuffield Health
- Hand surgery
- Elbow surgery
- Dupuytren's fasciectomy
- Tennis elbow release
- Changes in neutrophil activation and surface receptor expression following major trauma and isolated long-bone/pelvis fractures
- The production of Migration Stimulating Factor by Tumour Cells
- Effect of Thrombospondin on angiogenesis in Breast Cancer
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Hand and Orthopaedic Surgeon, Bristol Royal Infirmary
Mr Raj Bhatia does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Raj Bhatia does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Raj Bhatia does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.