Professor Philip Chapman-Sheath
BSc, MBBS, FRCS, FRCS (Tr Orth)
GMC number: 3679078
Practicing since: 1992
- Monday 08:30 - 13:00
- Wednesday by appointment
Or call us on
Philip has a worldwide reputation for excellence in knee surgery, regularly teaching in both across the UK and internationally as invited faculty for National Orthopaedic Associations on both the theory and advanced surgical knee techniques. His lectures and teaching are mostly aimed at enhancing the knowledge and surgical skill of other consultant specialist knee surgeons and trainee surgeons worldwide.
In his surgical practice in the UK, he performs 4 x more revision knee surgeries than the national average and twice as many knee replacements. His published outcomes for all primary and revision knee replacements remain consistently above the national average.
Philip has also developed a specialised practice in the management and prevention of sporting injuries and works closely alongside leading sporting clubs and schools in Hampshire. He is one of only a handful of specialists on the South Coast treating adolescent ( age 16 and above) paediatric knee injuries - performing cartilage reconstruction, meniscal repairs and complex ligament reconstruction surgery and has over 20 years experience developing his special interest in adolescent sporting injuries.
Philip appeared in the Daily Mail 2018 'Good Doctors Guide’ - having been voted by his peers as one of the top 15 knee replacement surgeons in the UK.
He is a Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Physical Sciences at the University of Southampton, working closely with colleagues in the department of Electronics and Computer Studies (ECS) in the field of wearable electronic sensor technologies.
Professor Chapman-Sheath specialises in the following treatments on adults at the Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital :
- Sports injury (of the knee)
- Knee arthroscopy ( keyhole surgery)
- Cartilage transplantation surgery
- Knee ligament ( ACL / PCL ) reconstruction
- Primary and Complex Revision Knee Replacement
- Specialised practice in partial knee resurfacing and minimally invasive knee surgery.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Philip Chapman-Sheath at Nuffield Health
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee surgery (ACL repair)
- Knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- PCL reconstruction
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
- Cartilage resurfacing
- Joint resurfacing
- Tibial osteotomy
- Patella stabilisation
- Cartilage reconstruction
Locations Professor Philip Chapman-Sheath works with
Research in cartilage transplantation and stem cell growth
Development of patient reported outcome measures (PROMs) – now used nationally as a measure of surgical success.
A selection of recent research papers includes:
- "A resorbable porous ceramic composite bone graft in a rabbit metaphysical defect model."; Chapman-Sheath P J et al; J Orthopaedic Research; Jul 2003; 21 (4): 655-61.
- "Response of a calcium sulphate bone graft substitute in a confined cancellous defect."; Chapman-Sheath P J et al; Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research; 2003; 406: 228-236.
- "Pelvic and Acetabular Fractures: Outcome Measures."; Chapman-Sheath P J and Willett K; Book chapter in: Measures in Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery; 2003.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (England)
- International Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow of the British Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow of the British Association of Knee Surgeons
- Fellow of the Association for Computer Assisted Surgery UK
- European Sports Traumatology and Knee Arthroscopy Society
- International Cartilage Repair Society
Other posts held
- Consultant Knee Surgeon, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust
Professor Philip Chapman-Sheath does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Philip Chapman-Sheath does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Philip Chapman-Sheath does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.