Philip has a world-wide reputation for excellence in knee surgery, regularly teaching in both the UK and international conferences on surgical knee techniques to specialist knee surgeons. In his surgical practice in the UK he performs 4 x more revision knee surgeries than the national average, and twice as many knee replacements. His published outcomes or all primary and revision knee replacements remain consistently above the national average.
Philip has a specialised practice in the management and prevention of sporting injuries and works closely alongside leading sporting clubs and schools in Hampshire.
He is the only specialist paediatric knee surgeon performing ligament reconstruction surgery in the region and has a special interest in adolescent sporting injuries. Philip appeared in the Daily Mail : 2018 'Good Doctors Guide', having been voted by his peers as one of the top 15 knee replacement surgeons in the UK by his colleagues.
Mr Chapman-Sheath specialises in the following treatments at the Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital:
- Sports injury (of the knee)
- Knee arthroscopy ( keyhole surgery)
- Cartilage transplantation surgery
- Knee ligament ( ACL / PCL ) reconstruction
- Primary and Complex Revision Knee Replacement
- Specialised practice in partial knee resurfacing and minimally invasive knee surgery.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath at Nuffield Health
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
- PCL reconstruction
Research in cartilage transplantation and stem cell growth
Development of patient reported outcome measures (PROMs) – now used nationally as a measure of surgical success.
A selection of recent research papers includes:
- "A resorbable porous ceramic composite bone graft in a rabbit metaphysical defect model."; Chapman-Sheath P J et al; J Orthopaedic Research; Jul 2003; 21 (4): 655-61.
- "Response of a calcium sulphate bone graft substitute in a confined cancellous defect."; Chapman-Sheath P J et al; Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research; 2003; 406: 228-236.
- "Pelvic and Acetabular Fractures: Outcome Measures."; Chapman-Sheath P J and Willett K; Book chapter in: Measures in Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery; 2003.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (England)
- International Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow of the British Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow of the British Association of Knee Surgeons
- Fellow of the Association for Computer Assisted Surgery UK
- European Sports Traumatology and Knee Arthroscopy Society
- International Cartilage Repair Society
Other post held
- Consultant Knee Surgeon, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust
Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Philip Chapman-Sheath does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.