After qualifying from Southampton Medical School in 1992, Mr Mackey undertook a broad general surgical training in a variety of posts including the South West and in Queensland, Australia.
His specialist training was undertaken in Wales, followed by a year in a teaching hospital in Sydney, as a Colorectal Fellow.
Mr Mackey specialises in the following treatments at Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital:
Mr Mackey also has a very active role in training advanced surgical techniques to colorectal trainees.
Away from work, Mr Mackey enjoys tennis, squash and golf as often as bringing up a young family allows!
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Paul Mackey at Nuffield Health
- Family history screening
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Ileal pouch anal anastomosis
- Abdominoperineal resection
- Hernia repair
- Excision of skin lesion
- Colorectal screening
- Colorectal surgery
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Stapled haemorrhoidopexy
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Anterior resection
His MD thesis was awarded for research looking at the role of childbirth in the development of faecal incontinence and ano-rectal dysfunction and he has gained extensive experience in this area.
He is experienced in the treatment of all aspects of colorectal disease, but areas of particular expertise include the laparoscopic approach to the treatment of both benign and malignant conditions affecting the colon and rectum, and the surgical treatment of benign conditions of the anorectum.
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Surgeons (England)
- Medical Protection Society
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland
- Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain & Ireland
Other posts held
- Consultant Colorectal Surgeon Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Mr Paul Mackey works with
Mr Paul Mackey works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA Health
- Aviva Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- The Exeter Friendly