- Specialities Ophthalmology, Optometry
- Telephone 01273 627 007 (Brighton enquiries) 01444 456 999 Ext 338 (Haywards Heath) 01273 627059 (Medical Secretary)
- Year of first qualification 1995
- Email email@example.com / HaywardsHeath.firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- GMC Number 4204891
- Fax 01273 626959 (Brighton) 01444 476 778 (Haywards Heath)
Mr Edward Hughes is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon in Brighton and Lead Clinician of the Ophthalmology Department at the Sussex Eye Hospital, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust. He qualified from Guys and St Thomas’ Hospitals Medical School in 1995. After three years in hospital general medicine, he commenced his ophthalmology career in 1998. His training was complemented by advanced fellowships in vitreo-retinal surgery (Sydney Eye Hospital, Australia), medical retinal disease (Moorfields Eye Hospital, London) and inflammatory eye disease (St Thomas’ Hospital, London).
Mr Hughes practices comprehensive ophthalmology including routine and complex cataract surgery, glaucoma and retinal disease. He has specialist interest in retinal diseases including macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease and surgical retinal problems like retinal detachment and macular hole. He has also established a new inflammatory eye disease service at the Sussex Eye Hospital which is now providing a regional tertiary care service for patients with these conditions.
Mr Hughes specialises in:
- Wednesday PM and evening (Brighton)
- Tuesday evening (Haywards Heath)
- Other times available by arrangement
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Nuffield Health Haywards Heath Hospital
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Sussex Eye Hospital
- Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
General Ophthalmology with specialist interest in:
- Cataract Surgery - routine and complex
- Retinal disease - medical and surgical treatments (including macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachment and macular hole)
- Inflammatory eye disease
Tennis, golf, rugby, swimming and skiing
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- UK &
- Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
- International Ocular Inflammation Society Euretina
- Medical Ophthalmological Society (UK)
Mr Hughes spent two years in dedicated laboratory research into inherited retinal degeneration and stem cells, which culminated in the award of an MD in 2004. He has continued to research and publish in many aspects of eye disease, including novel cataract surgical techniques, age-related macular degeneration, inflammatory eye disease and intra-ocular infections. He has written review articles and a book chapter on inflammatory eye diseases and acts as a reviewer for several scientific journals. He is section editor for medical retinal diseases for Ophthalmopaedia, an on-line ophthalmic encyclopedia project.
Current research interests include a new surgical treatment for wet macular degeneration (he is Principal Investigator for the MERLOT trial in Brighton), detection of intra-ocular infection and MRI imaging for vitreous oxygen levels.
DeclarationMr Edward Hughes works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Edward Hughes does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Edward Hughes does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Edward Hughes does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.