Mr Anderson graduated from St Thomas’ Hospital in 1989, with a national ophthalmology prize - the prestigious Duke-Elder Award. He then completed a period of specialist undergraduate training at Harvard Medical School in Boston.
Early surgical positions at St Bartholomew’s and St Georges Hospitals in London were followed by higher surgical training at Southampton University Eye Unit leading to inclusion on the specialist register of Ophthalmic Surgeons. Supported by the Medical Research Council, he then pursued research leading to a PhD thesis on ocular surface disease.
To further his specialist training, David accepted a national scholarship which took him to practice at the award winning Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Florida. David returned from the USA to start a fellowship at the renowned Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, where he practiced for 2.5 years, including some time in a consultant position.
He is an internationally recoginsed expert and clinical innovator in corneal transplant surgery and refractive surgery. He is also a recognised specialist in cataract and complex cataract surgery
David Anderson has been practicing Ophthalmology for 24 years and has specialised in the treatment of patients with complex corneal conditions including KCS for 15 years. David has been treating KCS patients with CXL since 2010 and is considered to be an expert in managing this condition. David recommends the Avedro Accelerated KXL System available at the Nuffield Health Hospital Wessex for the treatment of progressive KCS.
- Trainer for the Royal College of Ophthalmology in microsurgical skills
- Trainer (International Surgeon Trainer) for VisX AMO in wavefront laser vision correction
- Advisor to National Institute of Health Care and Excellence (NICE)
- Advisor to National Institute of Health Research (NIHR)
- Lead investigator for lens implant evaluation and performance
- Clinical investigator in large scale laser vision correction research trials including wavefront-guided laser vision correction
- Moorfields Eye Hospital Fellowship trained laser refractive surgeon
- Moorfields Eye Hospital Fellowship trained cataract and corneal transplant surgeon
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Fl, USA (USA's leading Eye Hospital), trained Corneal Research Fellow
- TFC Frost Scholar to USA
- Medical Research Council (MRC) Academic Fellowship PhD in Allergy and Immunology
- MRC Grant recipient
- Weekly Tuesday 08:30 - 12:30
- Weekly Thursday 13:30 - 20:00
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, University Hospitals Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer in Ophthalmology, University of Southampton
- Visiting Consultant Ophthalmologist, States of Jersey
- PhD examiner for University of London
- Refractive cataract surgery and refractive lens replacement
- Laser vision correction, LASIK, LASEK and Wavefront treatments
- Corneal transplant surgery, DSEK, DALK and PK
- Treatment of Keratoconus
- Corneal collagen cross linkage for Keratoconus
David is married with three children and enjoys Hampshire life. He enjoys art and music and holds a Southampton FC season ticket.
- United Kingdom Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Royal College of Ophthalmology
David has been involved in large clinical trials in LASIK and PRK and has subsequently become a lead investigator in clinical research evaluating wavefront-guided LASIK and LASEK. This work has led to a series of publications in the leading medical journals.
David has lectured nationally and internationally on corneal and ocular surface disease as well as refractive surgery. He has a substantial and consistent academic publication track record in world's leading ophthalmology and scientific journals. He is also a reviewer for multiple ophthalmic and scientific journals, grant giving bodies and research trials.
Mr David Anderson does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr David Anderson does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr David Anderson holds the following paid advisory role(s) either at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health:
Mr David Anderson is a member of the Nuffield Health Expert Advisory Group who provide project specific advisory services on an as required basis. EAG members are paid a day rate of £1,000 or an hourly rate of £150 plus reasonable expenses incurred.