Mr Kasis completed his basic surgical training in Guy’s/St Thomas’ and St Mary’s Hospitals in London in 2001, and then obtained a research MD degree in orthopaedics at the University of Sheffield.
Mr Kasis completed his higher orthopaedic training in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and went on to complete a spinal fellowship in the Gold Coast Spine Unit in Australia with Dr Matthew Scott-Young.
Mr Kasis practices as an orthopaedic spinal surgeon in:
- Wansbeck General Hospital, Ashington, Northumberland
- Hexham General Hospital, Hexham, Northumberland
- Nuffield Hospital, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
- Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital in Cramlington, Northumberland
Mr Kasis treats NHS, BUPA insured and self-funded private patients.
Being competent in all approaches to the spine (operating from both the front and back) to treat a wide variety of spinal conditions, as well as current concepts of treatment of the spine, Mr Kasis strives to match the patient’s condition with the most appropriate technology available through approaches that are less invasive.
Mr Ata Kasis has a special interest in treating degenerative spine problems, in particular low back pain due to degenerative disc disease (DDD) and low back pain after previous surgery such as discectomy. Mr Kasis is fellowship trained in anterior approach to the lumbar spine to perform fusion (ALIF) or disc replacement. Mr Kasis has a special interest in treating low back and leg pain using spine injections including nerve root block, facet joint injections, epidural injections and sacro-iliac joint injections.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Ata Kasis at Nuffield Health
- Lumbar discectomy
- Removal of spinal hardware
- Spinal (lumbar) Decompression
- Spinal fusion surgery
- Epidural injection for pain relief
- Nerve blocks
Mr Kasis has presented in International spine meetings on the outcome of anterior lumbar fusion and total disc replacement. Mr Kasis is a reviewer for The International Journal of Spine surgery. And also an organiser and reviewer for the International Society of the Advanced Spine Surgery meetings.
Mr Kasis is affiliated with the following professional organisations:
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians of Glasgow
- Member of the British Association of Spine Surgeons
- Member of the North American Spine Society
- Member of the International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery
Other posts held
- Wansbeck General Hospital Spinal lead Northumbria NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Ata Kasis works with
Mr Ata Kasis works with the following private medical insurance providers:
Mr Ata Kasis does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ata Kasis does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ata Kasis does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.