Dr William Griffiths
MB BChir, FRCP, PhD
GMC number: 4070364
Practicing since: 1993
General (internal) Medicine
- Weekly Wednesday 16:30 - 19:30
Or call us on
Dr Griffiths was appointed in 2006 as a Consultant Hepatologist in a well-renowned tertiary liver centre and liver transplant unit, where he also trained. Here he has a number of inpatient and outpatient duties: he runs, amongst others, a weekly new patient liver clinic and genetic liver clinic at Addenbrooke’s, and regularly performs upper GI endoscopy, ERCP and endoscopic ultrasound. Dr Griffiths has a particular interest in haemochromatosis and co-wrote the latest national guidelines. He also leads a UK special interest group on Wilson’s disease, served 10 years on the British Association Study of Liver (BASL) committee and is the National Lead for Hepatology training.
- Inherited liver disease
- Biliary endoscopy
- Liver transplantation
Family, gardening, refereeing
rugby and golf.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr William Griffiths at Nuffield Health
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Liver function tests
Locations Dr William Griffiths works with
ResearchRecent principal author peer-reviewed
publications include:1. Griffiths WJ, Mayr R, McFarlane I, et al. Clinical presentation and molecular pathophysiology of autosomal dominant hemochromatosis caused by a novel ferroportin mutation. Hepatology 2010; 51:788-95
2. Ambler GK……..Griffiths WJH. Orthotopic liver transplantation in an adult with cholesterol ester storage disease. JIMD reports 2013;8:41-6
3. Cacciottolo TM……..Griffiths WJH. Pi*Z heterozygous alpha-1 antitrypsin states accelerate parenchymal but not biliary cirrhosis. European Journal of Gastro Hepatology 2014;26:412-7
4. Azzu V……..Griffiths WJH. Liver disease predicts mortality in patients with X-linked immunodeficiency with hyper-IGM but can be prevented by early hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2018; 141:1405-8
5. Fitzsimmons EJ…..Griffiths WJH. Diagnosis and therapy of genetic haemochromatosis (review and 2017 update). Br J Haematol 2018:181:293-303
6. Bhuva M……Griffiths W. Sequence analaysis of exon 1 of the ferritin light chain (FTL) gene can reveal the rare disorder ‘hereditary hyperferritinaemia without cataracts’. Br J Haematol 2019;184:1037-1040
- Royal College of Physicians (Fellow)
- British Association Study of Liver
- American Association Study of Liver Disease
- Gastroenterology Specialist Advisory Group
Other posts held
- Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Dr William Griffiths works with
Dr William Griffiths works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- CS Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr William Griffiths does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr William Griffiths does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr William Griffiths does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.