Dr Burchell is a Consultant Cardiologist working at Musgrove Park Hospital. He undertook his undergraduate medical training at Imperial College School of Medicine, London where he also intercalated a BSc. He undertook his cardiology training in the NE Thames region before taking a 2 year period of post-graduate research at University College London investigating the use of stem cell therapy in heart attack patients. He has published his work in international peer-reviewed journals.
His sub-speciality training in Coronary Intervention was undertaken at The London Heart Attack Centre. He worked for 3 years at the Royal United Hospital in Bath and The Bristol Heart Institute as a cardiology consultant before settling in Taunton.
He is involved in training junior doctors and has been an invited speaker at international cardiology conferences.
He has expertise in all aspects of cardiology including palpitations, atrial fibrillation (AF), unexplained loss of consciousness, hypertension, heart failure, valve disease and rhythm disturbance. Dr Burchell has a special interest in treating complex coronary artery disease and is fully trained and experienced in the most advanced and up to date techniques and adjunctive technologies including the treatment of chronically occluded coronary arteries, the use of rotational atherectomy and advanced intracoronary imaging.
- General Cardiology
- Atrial fibrillation (AF)
- Unexplained loss of consciousness
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Heart failure
- Valve disease
- Cardiac rhythm disturbance
- Complex coronary artery disease
- Chronic total occlusions (CTO)
- Rotational atherectomy
- Advanced intracoronary imaging (IVUS/OCT)
- Coronary physiological assessment (pressure wire)
Dr Burchell enjoys spending time with his young family, cycling and DIY.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Tom Burchell at Nuffield Health
- Cardiac clinical pharmacology
- Coronary Angioplasty (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention or PCI)
- Interventional cardiology
Dr Burchell is involved in recruiting for a number of multi-centre international portfolio clinical trials in cardiovascular medicine.
- British Cardiovascular Society
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
- Royal College of Physicians
- Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
Other post held
- Consultant Cardiologist at Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton
Insurers Dr Tom Burchell works with
Dr Tom Burchell works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP International
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Tom Burchell does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Tom Burchell does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Tom Burchell does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.