Dr Hoole qualified in medicine with a double First from University of Oxford, and subsequently trained in cardiology in London and Cambridge. He was appointed as a consultant interventional cardiologist at Royal Papworth Hospital in September 2011 and was made a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in 2015.
Dr Hoole currently holds a national clinical excellence bronze award. He has published over 100 peer reviewed manuscripts, written several book chapters and is a senior research fellow at the University of Cambridge. He is a specialist adviser to the MHRA, NICE and NIHR HTA interventional device programmes. He has co-authored guideline and position paper publications for the ESC, ACC, AHA and NICE and is currently appointed as a NICE clinical guideline chair. He is regularly asked to act as a medicolegal expert.
Dr Hoole has extensive experience in all aspects of cardiology including the causes of chest pain, breathlessness, ankle swelling, palpitations and dizziness/blackouts. He subspecialises in key-hole coronary artery stenting via the wrist artery and has a particular interest in stent safety, complex PCI (calcium modification and opening chronic occlusions), refractory and microvascular angina, intracoronary imaging and physiology. He also leads the national balloon pulmonary angioplasty service.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Stephen Hoole at Nuffield Health
- Blood test
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Cardiovascular risk profile
- Zio® XT Cardiac Monitor
- CT scan (or CAT scan)
- DVLA Testing and Driving Risk Profile
- CT calcium scoring (or cardiac calcium scoring)
- Interventional cardiology
- Event monitor
- Drug and medication monitoring
- MRI scan
- Coronary Angioplasty (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention or PCI)
For research publications please click here.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- Member of the British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
- Member of the British Cardiovascular Society
- Full General Medical Council Registration
Other post held
- Consultant Cardiologist, Royal Papworth Hospital Cambridge.
Insurers Dr Stephen Hoole works with
Dr Stephen Hoole works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Healix Healthcare
- Standard Life
- The Exeter Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)