Dr Kamal Chitkara has been a Consultant Cardiologist & research lead at Royal Derby Hospital since 2010. He strongly believes that there are no short cuts or substitutes for experience. Assessing and treating patients with potentially life threatening heart diseases leaves no room for complacency or error. Appropriate investigation followed by sympathetic reassurance is the key to returning an individual to a normal life.
Dr. Chitkara is highly experienced in many aspects of heart disease, his expertise have been acquired from a long, traditional training programme at Glenfield Hospital in Leicester. He was awarded an M.D in 2008 after a period of research in intervention at the University of Leicester. He subsequently undertook an Interventional Fellowship at the highly renowned Leeds General Infirmary and gained great wealth of experience in Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI). He has performed at least 5,000 coronary angiograms and 2,500 simple and complex PCI procedures, primarily via a radial route and considers himself to be a radial operator.
Dr Chitkara was instrumental in establishing primary angioplasty for the acute management of myocardial infarction (heart attack) at The Royal Derby Hospital and he has also successfully established an uncontrolled hypertension clinic. Dr. Chitkara is also an expert in non-coronary interventional/preventive cardiology and has other diverse clinical interests.
Dr. Chitkara prides himself being an approachable and fun loving guy with a keen interest in golf.
- Angina (chest pain), Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Uncontrolled Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Dizziness and syncope (fainting)
- Arrhythmia (irregular heart beat)
- High cholesterol
- Shortness of breath
- Congestive heart failure
- Diseases of the heart valves
- Coronary artery disease
- Edema (swelling)
Course Director & Faculty
1. National & International Coronary Complications meeting: I have key interest in prevention of coronary complications and every year I organise interactive case based discussion course for final year SpRs and new Consultants in collaboration with a panel of experts, as I believes that complication cases often form the basis for a good discussion and are a learning opportunity for better management and prevention of coronary complications.
2. STEMI AFRICA – Nairobi, I have been actively contributing in establishing heart attack services amongst various populations in Africa.
3. PCS –World congress cardio-renal diseases
4. Heart Live conference - Manchester Royal Infirmary
English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Kamal Chitkara at Nuffield Health
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Interventional cardiology
- CT calcium scoring (or cardiac calcium scoring)
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
- Event monitor
I continue to be actively involved in ground breaking clinical research and Principal Investigator for various randomised clinical trials involving stents, aortic stenosis, atrial fibrillation, angina and moderate coronary artery disease. I have recently published book on Coronary Complications during PCI-survival handbook.
Key titles include:
- A diagonal no like other –Case presentation TCT 2016
- Audit of Nonagenarians PCI Outcome – presented at TCT 2015
- Successful removal of an entrapped and knotted JL 3.5 catheter during right transradial cardiac catheterization by snaring and unwinding the catheter via femoral access –challenging case presented at TCT 2015
- Computerised Tomography Calcium Score in a "real-world" cohort of elderly patients with new onset chest pain-a single centre experience. SCAI Scientific session – USA 2015
- Routine Pressure Wire Assessment at Time of Diagnostic Angiography: Is it Ready for Prime Time? The RIPCORD Study. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2014;7:139-141 Chitkara K*, Nick Curzen et.
- DES: 2nd Generation vs. 1st generation. Chitkara K*, Gershlick A.H. J. Interventional Cardiology (Interventional Cardiology –August 2010).
- Drug Eluting Stents in patients with ST Elevation MI. Chitkara K*, Gershlick A.H. European Cardiovascular Disease – Vol.1, (Issue II) November 2009.
- Complications of PCI – Survival handbook
- Preclinical assessment of Eptifibatide eluting stents
- Principal Investigator for multi-centre studies: RIPCORD, BRICCS-AS, EMMACE4, ULTIMASTER, EAST, REDUAL PCI.
- British Cardiovascular Interventional Society
- European Club of Interventional Cardiologists
- Medical Protection Society
Other post held
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist, Royal Derby Hospital
- Honorary Consultant Interventional Cardiologist, Glenfield Hospital
Insurers Dr Kamal Chitkara works with
Dr Kamal Chitkara works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Westfield Health WPA
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- AXA PPP International
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
Dr Kamal Chitkara does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Kamal Chitkara does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Kamal Chitkara does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.