Dr Andrew Klein is a Consultant Anaesthetist at Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital and Papworth Hospital in Cambridge. He has a long interest in anaemia management and was one of the first clinicians to highlight the problems of anaemia in patients undergoing surgery. He has set up one of the first preoperative pathways for intravenous iron therapy in heart surgery.
Dr Andrew Klein is Editor of the journal, Anaesthesia with significant publications on anaemia management, iron deficiency and iron therapies. He has lead ground breaking work into the diagnosis of iron deficiency in patients with anaemia highlighting the need for intravenous iron therapy. As part of CAVIAR he leads international research into intravenous iron therapy in patients undergoing surgery.
- Blaudszun G, Munting KE, Butchart A, Gerrard C, Klein AA. The association between borderline pre-operative anaemia in women and outcomes after cardiac surgery: a cohort study. Anaesthesia 2018: doi:10.1111/anae.14185
- Zochios V, Klein AA, Jones N, Gao F. Intra-operative mechanical ventilation strategies in cardiac surgical patients. Journal of the Intensive Care Society 2018; 19: 85.
- Pandit JJ, Klein AA. Journal response: prospective clinical trial registration – desirable, but not necessary. Anaesthesia 2018: doi:10.1111/anae.14198
- Zochios V, Klein AA, Gao F. Protective invasive ventilation in cardiac surgery: a systematic review with a focus on acute lung injury in adult cardiac surgical patients. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2018; http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.jvca.2017.10.031
- Shepherd SJ, Klein A, Martinez G. Enhanced recovery for thoracic surgery in the elderly. Curr Opin Anesthesiol 2017, 30:000–000. DOI:10.1097/ACO.0000000000000537
- Sullivan TP, Moore JE, Klein AA, et al. Evaluation of the clinical utility of echocardiography and invasive monitoring to assess right ventricular function During and after pulmonary endarterectomy. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2018; 32: 771-8.
- Blaudszun G, Butchart A, Klein AA. Blood conservation in cardiac surgery. Transfusion Medicine 2017. doi:10.1111/tme.12475
- Papachristofi O, Klein AA, Mackay J, et al. Effect of individual patient risk, centre, surgeon and anaesthetist on length of stay in hospital after cardiac surgery: Association of Cardiothoracic Anaesthesia and Critical Care (ACTACC) consecutive cases series study of 10 UK specialist centres.BMJ Open 2017; 7: e016947.
- Zochios V, Jones N, Klein AA. Rationale and design of a prospective cohort study to assess extravascular lung water as an early predictor and marker of the severity of reperfusion lung injury in pulmonary endarterectomy. Research in Cardiovascular Medicine 2017; e59348. DOI: 10.5812/cardiovascmed.59348.
- Klein AA, Collier T, Yeates J, et al. The ACTA PORT-score for predicting perioperative risk of blood transfusion for adult cardiac surgery. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2017; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aex205
- Bartoszko,Vorobeichik l, Klein AA et al. Defining clinically important perioperative blood loss and transfusion for the standardised endpoints for perioperative medicine (StEP) collaborative: a protocol for a scoping review. BMJ Open 2017; 7: e016743. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016743
- Axell R, Giblett J, Klein A, et al. Stunning and Right Ventricular Dysfunction is Induced by Coronary Balloon Occlusion and Rapid Pacing in Humans: Insights from Right Ventricular Conductance Catheter Studies. Journal of the American Heart Association 2017; 6: e005820. DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.117.005820.
- Muñoz M, Acheson AG, Klein AA, et al. International consensus statement on the peri-operative management of anaemia and iron deficiency. Anaesthesia 2017; 72: 233–47.
- Meybohm P, Froessler B, Klein AA, et al. Simplified international recommendations for the implementation of patient blood management. Perioperative Medicine 2017; 6: 5. DOI: 10.1186/s13741-017-0061-8.
- Chau M, Richards T, Klein AA. The UK Cardiac and Vascular surgery Interventional Anaemia Response (CAVIAR) Study: protocol for an observational cohort study to determine the impact and effect of preoperative anaemia management in cardiac and vascular surgical patients. BMJ Open 2017; 7: e014872.
- Tan WS, Lamb B, Klein AA, et al. Transfusion requirement and not preoperative anaemia is associated with perioperative complications following intracorporeal robotic assisted radical cystectomy. Journal of Endourology 2017; 31: 141-8.
- Axell RG, White P, Klein AA, et al. Rapid pacing induced right ventricular dysfunction is evident after balloon expandable trans-femoral aortic valve replacement. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2017; 69: DOI: 10.1016/j.jacc.2016.12.011.
- Butcher A, Richards T, Stanworth SJ, Klein AA. Diagnostic criteria for pre-operative anaemia–time to end sex discrimination. Anaesthesia 2017; 72: 811–4.
- Irons JF, Miles LF, Joshi KR, Klein AA, Scarci M, Solli P, Martinez G. Thoracic Anesthesia Intubated Versus Nonintubated General Anesthesia for Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery—A Case-Control Study. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2017; 31: 411-7.
- Klein AA. What Anaesthesia is doing to combat scientific misconduct and investigate data fabrication and falsification. Anaesthesia 2017; 72: 3–4.
- Chand M, Lamagni T, Klein AA, et al. Insidious risk of severe Mycobacterium chimaera infection in cardiac surgery patients. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2017; 64: 335-42.
- Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Association of Cardiothoracic Anaesthetists
- Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists
- British society of echocardiography
- Fellow of Murray Edwards College
- Examiner for the Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Editor-in-Chief of the journal Anaesthesia
- Council member of the Association of Cardiothoracic Anaesthetists (ACTA UK)
Dr Andrew Klein does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Andrew Klein does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Andrew Klein does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.