Professor Atkins is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with more than thirty years’ experience, qualifying from Oxford University and Guys Hospital Medical School in 1978, since when he has practiced in London, Sheffield, Oxford and Bristol. He performs a wide range of orthopaedic procedures including knee replacement and hip replacement surgery.
He also lectures, is well published (over 100 publications in refereed journals), provides training and supervision, engages in research, undertakes Medico-Legal work, and holds membership to a number of leading Medical Associations. He also holds a number of patents, is a frequently invited guest speaker, whilst organising and addressing a number of annual courses including two in Bristol, and one in Switzerland based around his particular field of expertise
The Professor will, whenever and wherever possible, bring unique and innovative surgical solutions to otherwise seemingly insurmountable problems in an effort to significantly improve patient outcomes.
The Professor also currently holds the following additional appointments:
- Examiner Intercollegiate Specialty Board in Orthopaedic Surgery.
- Voting member editorial board Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
Whenever possible the Professor likes to spend time with his wife and three daughters, and with them in the winter he likes to ski, in summer he will sail. He has previously been a keen tennis player, and enjoys both theatre and opera.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Roger Atkins at Nuffield Health
- Ilizarov frame surgery
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
- Ankle ligament repair
- Bone Graft
- Flat foot correction
- Toe surgery
- Achilles repair or reconstruction
- Subtalar arthroscopy
- Tibial osteotomy
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Ankle fusion
- Hallux Valgus Surgery
Professor Atkins is currently involved in a number of projects having raised many millions of pounds in grants for research during recent years, and presently employs a team of researchers, with his current interests including:
- Non-union of fracture and its treatment
- Limb deformity and correction
- Bone infection
- Foot and ankle surgery, including calcaneal, talus and pilon fractures
- Disability following injury
- Limb reconstruction surgery
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Biology of bone and fracture healing
- Robotically assisted fracture surgery
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Royal College of Surgeons
- British Medical Association
- British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- British Limb Reconstruction Society
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
Other posts held
- University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon Brunel Hospital, Southmead
Insurers Professor Roger Atkins works with
Professor Roger Atkins works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Professor Roger Atkins does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Roger Atkins does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Roger Atkins does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.