- Specialities Pain Management, Pain Specialist
- Telephone 01443 449251
- Year of first qualification 1997
English and Hindi
- GMC Number 6062060
- Website https://painmanagement.wales
- Fax 01443 449222
After graduating in Medicine (MBBS), Professor Saxena completed his postgraduate training in Anaesthesia & Pain Management (MD) from a premier centre of Delhi University before moving to the UK. He completed his anaesthetic training, working, in most of the hospitals of South Wales. During this period he was awarded the Fellowship of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (FRCA). He further pursued advanced level training in Pain Management and received the Fellowship of the Faculty of Pain Medicine of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (FFPMRCA). During this period he also attained a Masters degree in Pain Management (MSc), from Cardiff University, to complement his broad-based clinical experience. He has also attended various world-renowned pain treatment centres, both in the UK and abroad to gain specialised clinical experience. He was awarded a PhD by Cardiff University for his novel research in studying human brain function using the exciting new technology of functional MRI.
Professor Saxena is currently a Consultant in Pain Management and Anaesthetics, at Cwm Taf University hospitals. He is also the Clinical Lead for Inpatient Pain Management. He has led the development of a South Wales’ Network of Acute Pain teams (SwNAP) to raise the standards of inpatient pain management and is currently a council member of the Welsh Pain Society and SwNAP.
He is actively involved in research and has published his work extensively. He was awarded the NISCHR Clinical Research Fellowship in 2014. His main research interests are in understanding the brain mechanisms of pain perception and improving clinical outcomes of various pain therapies. He has presented at national and international scientific meetings and regularly gets invited to talk about pain management to medical students and medical specialists. He is also responsible for the training of junior doctors, in Cwm Taf hospitals, who aim to become pain specialists.
He offers a full range of medicinal, interventional and non-surgical treatments for all painful conditions. He has a special interest and expertise in knee, shoulder and back pain. He use motivational interviewing and shared decision making tools to support patients make their own treatment choices.
- Weekly Thursday evenings at The Vale Hospital
- Consultant in Pain Management, Royal Glamorgan Hospital
- Consultant in Pain Management, Prince Charles Hospital
- Clinical Senior Lecturer, Cardiff University
- Playing cricket. Manage a local club in Cardiff
- British Medical Association
- British Pain Society
- International Association on the Study of Pain
- Medical Protection Society
Prof. Saxena is a Visiting Professor at University of South Wales and Senior Lecturer at, Cardiff University.
His research interests are:
Using advanced brain imaging techniques to understand
1. Long-term effectiveness of an outpatient interdisciplinary PMP: an observational study. World Congress on Pain proceedings, 2012.
2. N Saxena, S Kadambande, S Khot. From presentation to journal publication: the journey of our Society’s ASM abstracts. Pain News2012: 10(1) 49-52.
3. Drug efficacy and patient satisfaction survey of chronic pain patients on Pregabalin. (presented at Welsh Pain Society meeting, 2006)
4. Drug efficacy and patient satisfaction survey of chronic pain patients on Buprenorphine patch. (presented at Welsh Pain Society meeting, 2006)
5. Presentation and management of Chronic pelvic pain in women (World Congress on Pain, 2009)
6. Chronic low back pain; What doctors think! (presented at British Pain Society meeting, 2008)
7. AK Saxena, N Saxena, et al. An unusual complication of sinus arrest following right-sided stellate ganglion block: a case report. Pain Pract 2004; 245-8
DeclarationProfessor Neeraj Saxena works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Universal Provident
Professor Neeraj Saxena does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Neeraj Saxena does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Neeraj Saxena does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.