- Specialities Ophthalmology, Paediatric Ophthalmology
- Telephone 01223 370922
- Year of first qualification 1989
- GMC Number 3334100
- Website http://www.louiseallen.com
- Fax 0345 6521 652
Louise graduated from St Thomas's Hospital Medical School in London in 1989, and completed ten years of general training in ophthalmology at major teaching centres in Southampton, Birmingham, Norwich, Cambridge and Brisbane, Australia. She also spent two years engaged in research into genetic eye disease at the Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, and a year as a clinical fellow at Great Ormond Street Hospital, gaining further specialist experience in all aspects of paediatric and inherited eye disease.
In 2001, Louise was appointed to a consultant post at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, where she maintains a large general adult ophthalmic practice and specialises in all aspects of children’s eye problems and in genetic eye disease.
- Bi Weekly Wednesdays 14:00 - 16:00.
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Associate Lecturer, University of Cambridge
In addition to her clinical work, Louise is actively engaged in carrying out and supervising ophthalmic research, and is an Associate Lecturer at Cambridge University, teaching and examining at the University of Cambridge Medical School.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Paediatric Sub-committee of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- British and Irish Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus Association
- Ulverscroft Vision Research Group
- UK Retinopathy of Prematurity interest group
- British Isles Congenital Cataract interest group
Louise's postgraduate research led to completion of an MD thesis on the subject of inherited retinal dystrophy, and she continues to be active in clinical research.
In 2016, she established, and continues to develop, a telemedicine service in East Anglia to allow early recognition of Retinopathy of Prematurity in infants in order to prevent blindness by timely laser treatment. More recently, Louise has developed an award-winning new visual field testing device for small children. This has successfully completed clinical trials and will be incorporated into a commercially available system.
DeclarationMs Louise Allen works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- CS Healthcare
Ms Louise Allen does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Ms Louise Allen does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Ms Louise Allen does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.