Mr Elmahdy is a Consultant cardiac Surgeon at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust since 2019.
He was trained over the wide spectrum of cardiac surgery in Egypt and UK, attaining a PHD degree in the speciality.
Mr Elmahdy has 21 years of experience, worked at the National Heart Institute in Egypt 2003-2010, moved to UK since 2010 to work at New Cross Hospital (Wolverhampton), Yorkshire Heart Centre (Leeds), Royal Brompton Hospital (London), Royal Papworth Hospital (Cambridge) and John Radcliffe Hospital (Oxford).
Mr Elmahdy has a specialist interest in the surgical repair of the aortic root, arch and thoracic aorta including complex aortic arch and hybrid procedures. Other areas of interest include aortic valve surgery using sutureless valve, valve replacement and repair of the aortic, mitral and tricuspid valves, minimally invasive valve surgery, coronary artery bypass grafts (CABG) including beating heart surgery. He has a keen interest in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education. He’s a senior lecturer at Leeds University, and currently the clinical supervisor for the Leeds aortic fellowship.
Mr Elmahdy performed 1100 major cardiac procedures including acutes and emergencies with overall survival rate of 99% and remarkably low complication rate.
Mr Elmahdy is a semi-professional artist with national and international painting exhibitions.
Surgery on the aortic
root and thoracic aorta. Valve surgery (repair/replacement) including
sutureless valves and minimal invasive procedures. Coronary artery bypass
grafts surgery including arterial revascularisation
Small aortic root
surgery, including root enlargement, to prevent prosthesis-patient
mismatch. Aortic valve sparing and
repair procedures, re-operative cardiac surgery, mechanical circulatory
support, infective endocarditis, cardiac tumours, and endoscopic conduit
harvesting for CABG
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Walid Elmahdy at Nuffield Health
- Aortic stent grafts
- Aortic aneurysm repair
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG)
- Arterial Surgery
Research focus around
the aortic dissection and aneurysm pathology, complex aortic surgery including
hybrid aortic arch procedures. Other areas of research involve the small aortic
root surgery, including aortic root enlargement, and other strategies to avoid
prothesis patient mismatch
- Honorary Senior Lecture, School of Medicine, Leeds University
- Member of the United Kingdom Aortic Surgery (UKAS) group
- Member of the West Yorkshire Vascular Service (WYVAS) group
- Membership of the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland (SCTS)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in Cardiothoracic surgery (FRCS CTh)
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (MRCS)
- Member of the Egyptian Society of Cardio-Thoracic Surgeons (ESCTS)
- Member of the Egyptian Medical Syndicate
Other posts held
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Consultant Leeds General Infirmary