Mr Tim Germon has been a specialist spine surgeon since 2001. He completed both his medical & higher degree (in advanced brain monitoring techniques) as well as Neurosurgical training in Bristol. He then spent a year as the first neurosurgeon to complete the National Orthopaedic Spinal Fellowship in Nottingham.
Mr Germon started in his current position as a consultant spinal neurosurgeon at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth in January 2001. As well as managing a busy clinical practice he is involved in research and teaching both nationally and internationally and is an active member of the British Association of Spine Surgeons. Mr Germon specialises in lumbar discectomy.
He graduated in Medicine with an intercalated degree in Biochemistry from Bristol University in 1987.
Mr Tim Germon's current and previous posts.
- Pre-registration House Officer, Bristol Teaching Hospitals 1987-88
- Demonstrator of Anatomy, Bristol University, 1988-89
- Trainee in accident & emergency medicine, Brisbane, Australia, 1989-90
- Basic Surgical training, Bristol & Exeter 1990-93
- Specialist Training in Neurosurgery & Doctorate, Bristol 1993-2000
- National Orthopaedic Spinal Surgery Fellowship, Nottingham, 2001-Present
- Consultant Spinal Neurosurgeon, Plymouth 2001-Present
- President British Association of Spine Surgeons 2011-13
Mr Germon will happily see patients in clinic who have had a relevant, up-to-date MRI or CT scan. Should this not be the case, please call Mr Germon’s secretary, Clare Reeve on 01752 761842, who can discuss the options available, as Mr Germon would recommend this to be undertaken prior to any consultation.
Mr Tim Germon practices all aspects of spinal surgery, except paediatrics. For the majority of people he sees, pain is their principal problem. The object of seeing them is to determine what the source of the pain is likely to be and then to discuss the potential risks and benefits of various treatment options.
He employs minimally invasive techniques including the operating microscope and computer guided surgery where appropriate.
It is not uncommon for patients to receive different advice from different specialists regarding spinal conditions that reflects how complicated spinal problems can be. Below are some links which are informative but don’t necessarily represent Mr Germon's views.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Tim Germon at Nuffield Health
- Lumbar discectomy
- Excision of spinal tumours
- Correction of scoliosis
- Removal of spinal hardware
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Spinal (lumbar) Decompression
- Interspinous implant
- Spinal fusion surgery
- Medial facetectomy
- Dorsal root ganglion block
Mr Tim Germon is interested in all aspects of spinal pathology and surgery but particularly in causes, diagnosis and treatment of back and neck pain.
Here is a link to his list of publications
Here is a BBC Radio 4 play about a man who broke his neck
Here is a talk Mr Germon gave in New York about his injuries
Here is a talk given at the Spine
Society of Europe meeting in Barcelona, September 2018 on causes and management
of back pain.
- Society of British Neurosurgeons
- British Association of Spinal Surgeons
- Cervical Spine Society
- British Scoliosis Society
- European Association of Neurosurgical Societies
Other posts held
- Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Derriford Hospital
Insurers Mr Tim Germon works with
Mr Tim Germon works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Tim Germon does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Tim Germon does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Tim Germon does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.