Mr Sven Putnis is a Consultant Orthopaedic Knee Surgeon, specialising in a broad range of sports-related and other knee conditions which can occur throughout active adult life. Sports injuries may require arthroscopic (key-hole) surgery treating meniscal or cartilage damage, or reconstruction surgery on ruptured ligaments, most commonly the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). For joint damage caused by conditions such as Osteoarthritis (OA), he offers preservation surgery including combined arthroscopic and periarticular realignment osteotomy to slow the progression of damage. When joint damage is severe, he specialises in partial or total knee replacement, and if you present with a problematic knee replacement, this can be fully assessed with times when revision joint replacement may be required.
Mr Putnis completed a 6-year Specialist Training Programme in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery based at The University College London Hospitals, UK, rotating through hospitals in London. He followed this with an Australian Orthopaedic Association Clinical and Research Knee Fellowship at the Sydney Orthopaedic Research Institute. With over 50 research publications, journal reviews, and memberships of international research groups, the treatment he provides has proven success.
- Complex sports knee injuries
- Arthroscopic meniscal repair
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Partial knee replacement
- Personalised total knee replacement
Sven is married and has two young daughters. One of his main interests is trail hiking, having previously hiked routes with his wife in Europe, the Himalayas and the Andes. However, with two little ones, they are currently exploring trails in Wales and the southwest of England!
He cycles whenever possible, and has cycled through North and South Vietnam, regions of central China, to work every day, and for family weekends.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Sven Putnis at Nuffield Health
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee surgery (ACL repair)
- Knee replacement
- Cartilage resurfacing
- Joint resurfacing
- Knee arthroscopy
- Tibial osteotomy
- Cartilage reconstruction
- Bone Graft
Details of Mr Putnis's published research can be found online at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=sven+putnis&sort=date
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
- European Society of Sports, Traumatology, Knee Surgery & Arthroscopy
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Orthopaedic Trauma Society
- British Patellofemoral Society
Other posts held
- Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UHBW NHS Foundation Trust
- Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, The Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Southmead Hospital, North Bristol NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Sven Putnis works with
Mr Sven Putnis works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Sven Putnis does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Sven Putnis does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Sven Putnis does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.