Mr Vakis qualified from Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School in 1989 and after house officer posts in London continued his training in Wessex for a further 13 years. He gained extensive training in general surgery and developed a specialist interest in coloproctology. During this time, he did 2.5 years of research into immunotherapy for solid tumour with specific reference to melanoma.
He was appointed as a Consultant General and Colorectal Surgeon at Burton on Trent in 2003. He is a highly experienced surgeon with an interest in laparoscopic surgery. Most of his colorectal resections are done via the laparoscopic approach. His practice includes hernia surgery – open and laparoscopic as well a significant number under local anaesthetic (based on patient choice). Other procedures include lumps and bumps, laparoscopic gallbladder surgery and upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy including therapeutic polypectomy and colonic stenting, pilonoidal sinus surgery with or without rotational flaps, fissures, fistula surgery, investigation of rectal bleeding and treatments to piles.
· Colorectal surgery;
Bowel cancer treatment -Laparoscopic and open resections
· Investigation of rectal pain/bleeding and outpatient treatments to piles
· Treatment to fissures and fistulas
· Pilonidal sinus surgery- (natal cleft infections)
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Stelios Vakis at Nuffield Health
- Ingrown toenail (and ingrown toenail surgery)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Hernia repair
- Excision of skin lesion
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
- British Medical Association
- Association of Coloproctology
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons
- British Hernia Society
Other post held
- Consultant Surgeon, Burton Hospitals NHS Trust
Mr Stelios Vakis does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Stelios Vakis does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Stelios Vakis does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.