- Specialities Bariatrics, General Surgery, Key Hole Surgery, Laparoscopy
- Telephone 01277 695 695
- Year of first qualification 2009
- Email Brentwood.firstname.lastname@example.org
Greek & English
- GMC Number 7231082
- Fax 01277 261 924
Mr Karamanakos graduated with honours from the Semmelweis University of Medicine in Budapest, Hungary. He undertook his surgical training in the UK and Greece. In 2009 he completed his surgical training and gained his CCT in General Surgery from the University Hospital of Patras, Greece. Following that he was offered a Consultant job in the department of General Surgery in Patras where he was mostly involved with the management of morbidly obese patients with bariatric surgery.
Mr Karamanakos completed fellowships in gastrointestinal surgery at Whipps Cross Hospital and Kings College Hospital in London. He has attended advanced laparoscopic surgery courses at the world-renowned centre IRCAD/EITS in Strasbourg France.
Mr Karamanakos has been awarded a PhD with honours for his work in bariatric surgery and gastrointestinal hormones. His research has been published extensively in renowned medical journals like 'The Annals of Surgery’ and he has published dozens of articles in peer-reviewed international medical journals.
Mr Karamanakos is an active Editorial Board Member of many surgical journals, and he has been an invited speaker in many international surgical and medical meetings and congresses and has received multiple awards and distinctions for his academic work.
- Bi-weekly Thursday 09:30-12:00
- Bi-weekly Friday 18:00-20:00
- Consultant General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon - Basildon Hospital and Orsett Hospital, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Consultant General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon - Queens Hospital, Barking, Havering & Redbridge NHS Trust
Mr Karamanakos specialises in upper gastrointestinal surgery including gastrectomies (removal of stomach), paraoesophageal hernia repair, anti-reflux surgery (treatment of heartburn), repair of abdominal wall hernias (inguinal, umbilical, incisional), cholecystectomies (removal of gallbladder and common bile duct exploration. The majority of his operations are performed laparoscopically (keyhole).
He also has a special interest in morbid obesity.
Mr Karamanakos also has an interest in the management of haemorrhoids as well as management of acute general surgical pathologies including appendicitis and bowel obstruction.
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgery
- International Federation for the surgery of Obesity & Metabolic disorders
PhD thesis in the department of General Surgery at the University Hospital of Patras, entitled “The efficacy of sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) and Roux en Y gastric bypass (LRYGB) in patients with morbid obesity (BMI 35-49,9).A comparative double-blind randomized trial”. Mr Karamanakos has investigated the efficiency of two popular bariatric procedures in a population of morbidly obese patients. The principle areas of his research were:
- Weight loss after LSG and after LRYGB
- Changes on gastrointestinal hormones Ghrelin and PYY after either procedure
- Changes on appetite after either procedure
- His research has been published extensively in renowned medical journals like 'The Annals of Surgery’ and he has published dozens of articles in peer-reviewed international medical journals.
DeclarationMr Stavros Karamanakos works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Stavros Karamanakos does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Stavros Karamanakos does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Stavros Karamanakos does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.