Mr Roy performs all common major and minor gynaecological surgery for non- cancerous conditions including reversal of sterilisation.
Before joining as a Consultant, he completed a broad-based training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
Mr Roy's postgraduate training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology spans over ten years (five years in the UK, five years in India) and he has undergone training in advanced gynaecological endoscopic surgery (laparoscopic and hysteroscopy) in internationally renowned centres in the UK (Gateshead and Guildford).
He has extensive experience in endometrial ablation procedures and was one of the country's first to start using radio frequency energy for endometrial ablation under local anaesthetic as an outpatient procedure at the University Hospital of Hartlepool.
Main areas of interest:
- Laparoscopic treatment of endometriosis
- Reversal of sterilisation
- Treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding and abnormal uterine bleeding
- Management of pelvic pain
Recognised Provider for
- AXA PPP
- Most other common health insurers
Note: For all Health insurers, he is listed as Mr S N RAY.
Speciality interests: Benign Gynaecology - in particular:
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (e.g Heavy Menstrual Bleeding, Irregular Menstrual Bleeding, Post-menopausal Bleeding),Chronic Pelvic Pain,
- Endometriosis (Laparoscopic Treatment)
- Pelvic organ prolapse surgery
- Surgery for infertility (e.g. Myomectomy, Tubal Reconstructive Surgery, Reversal of Sterilisation
Special training and Expertise - Advanced Gynaecological Laparoscopic and Hysteroscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Hysterectomy
- Laparoscopic Treatment of advanced Endometriosis.
- Laparoscopic Treatment of Tubal and Ovarian dieseases
- Laparoscopic Treatment of Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Hysteroscopic resection of Fibroids / Polyps.
- Hysteroscopic Female Sterilisation (without anaesthesia, out-patient procedure)
- Endometrial Ablation (Radio-frequency, Thermal Balloon)
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Somendra Roy at Nuffield Health
- Reversal of sterilisation
- Vaginal Prolapse Surgery
- Endometrial ablation
- Endometrial resection
Mr Roy's research interests are in the areas of Gynaecological Laparoscopy and Heavy Menstrual Bleeding. He has published three research articles in peer reviewed journals in the last four years.
- British Medical Association
- British Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy
- European Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy
- British International Doctors Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, North Tees and Hartlepool University Hospitals
- Lead of Gynaecological Services, North Tees and Hartlepool University Hospitals
Mr Somendra Roy does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Somendra Roy does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Somendra Roy does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.