Mr Wajed is a senior and experienced Consultant Upper GI and General Surgeon at Nuffield Health Exeter Hospital and the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust where he has been since appointment in 2004. He has special interests in reflux, functional oesophageal conditions, gallstones, and abdominal wall hernia. He has pioneered innovative techniques and minimally invasive surgery.
He studied at Caius College, Cambridge University graduating with a 1st Class in Medical Sciences before completing Clinical Medicine at Oxford University Medical school qualifying in 1992.
Medical and surgical training was in Birmingham, London and North Thames regions. He undertook a Foregut-Thoracic Fellowship at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles under the supervision of Professor Tom DeMeester, and was awarded Master of Surgery (M CHIR) from the University of Cambridge in recognition of the research performed there.
He was Lecturer in Surgery at the Royal Free-UCL Medical School before being appointed as a specialist Upper GI/ Oesophago-Gastric surgeon at Exeter, at the time when the Thoracic-Upper GI Unit was designated specialist regional centre for cancer surgery and co-pioneering the development of minimally invasive oesophageal resection in the UK. Following transfer of cancer services in 2010, Mr Wajed focused his interests to functional Upper GI conditions and including was one of the first specialists in the UK to the LINX procedure.
Mr Wajed is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Exeter Medical School. He has continually been active in research, teaching and training, with numerous publications and participation in educational events. He has trained and mentored many surgeons who are now themselves specialists in Upper GI surgery.
Mr Wajed specialises in Upper GI Surgery, General Surgery, Reflux, Gallstones & Hernia's.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Saj Wajed at Nuffield Health
- Laparoscopic groin hernia repair
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Bilateral (inguinal) hernia repair
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Hernia unilateral
- Hernia repair
- Reflux surgery (fundoplication)
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Reflux disease
- Hiatus hernia,
- Gallstone disease,
- Molecular biology
- International Society for Disease of Esophagus
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgery
- Britsih Medical Association
- British Hernia Association
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
Other posts held
- Consultant Upper GI and General Surgeon, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Exeter Medical School
Insurers Mr Saj Wajed works with
Mr Saj Wajed works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Saj Wajed does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Saj Wajed does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Saj Wajed does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.