Mr Ryan Mathew is an Associate Professor at the University of Leeds and Honorary Consultant Neurosurgeon at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (Tessa Jowell Brain Tumour Centre of Excellence).
During his neurosurgical training at Leeds (FRCS (NeuroSurg) in 2013), he undertook brain tumour research (funded by Cancer Research UK) and was awarded a PhD based on Glioma Modelling. After spending time as a Visiting Research Collaborator at the Brain Tumour Research Centre at Sickkids in Toronto, and a Neuro-Oncology Fellow at Leeds, he was appointed as the first Academic Consultant Neurosurgeon in Leeds in 2018.
His clinical practice covers the full spectrum of general neurosurgery with a subspecialty interest in brain tumours; in particular gliomas, meningiomas, robotic brain biopsy and awake surgery.
He has pioneered and introduced new technologies, both locally and nationally, for the management of brain tumour patients. Examples include using virtual and mixed reality during consultations and surgery, and real-time intra-operative tumour diagnosis.
He leads a brain tumour research group that aims to accelerate new therapies (systemically and into the brain) and develop technologies for earlier detection, safer tumour removal and improved recovery after surgery. More details are available below.
- Walking and Mountain Biking in Yorkshire
- Sport and fitness
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Ryan Mathew at Nuffield Health
- Brain surgery
Mr Mathew leads an extensive research programme within Neurosurgery, focusing on surgical technologies and devices, as well as translational brain cancer science. He has numerous PhD and MD students under his supervision.
He peer-reviews for a number of journals and grant award committees, has published numerous papers and has been Lead or Co-applicant on grant funding >£5M.
Active research and academic roles include:
- Co-Lead, Stem Cells and Brain Tumour Group
- Neurosurgery Lead, NIHR Surgical MedTech Cooperative
- Research Subcommittee, British Neuro-Oncology Society
- Basic/Translational Science Group, Society of British Neurological Surgeons
- Neurosurgery Lead, RCS Leeds Clinical Trials Unit
- Core Committee Member, Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Mission Novel Therapeutics Accelerator
- Health Lead, Leeds XR
- Founding Member, Holo
- Committee Member, Leeds Neuro Tissue Bank
- Committee Member, BRAINUK
- Society of British Neurological Surgeons
- British Neuro-Oncology Society
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Medical and Dental Defence Union
Other posts held
- Honorary Consultant Neurosurgeon, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Mr Ryan Mathew does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ryan Mathew does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ryan Mathew does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.