Mr Rohit Sharma
MMBS, MS (Masters Ophth), MRCSEd (Edinburgh), FRCOphth (London)
GMC number: 6054100
Practicing since: 1997
- Weekly Thursday 18:15 - 20:30
- Weekday evenings - By arrangement
Or call us on
After graduation and obtaining MBBS, he completed a three year Masters Degree in Surgery (Ophthalmology). He subsequently was trained further in Ophthalmology in various excellent hospitals in the UK starting with London and then in various deaneries like the Cambridge, Northern & Scotland region. He obtained Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and also a Fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London. He has learnt immensely from excellent Subspeciality experience at Kings College London & St Thomas' Hospital London.
He has a special interest in glaucoma, having completed Advanced Subspeciality training at Newcastle upon Tyne and Senior Glaucoma Fellowship at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre.
He then undertook a visiting Surgical Observership with world renowned experts at Toronto and Halifax in Canada to get further exposure to the latest innovative treatment modalities in Ophthalmology. He has attended further training with the new microinvasive treatment modalities like istents and xen implant. He undertook surgical training course for Xen implant in Austria and was exposed to modalities like trabectome in USA. He has an interest in laser treatments including SLT (Selective laser trabeculoplasty), ALT, PI, capsulotomy, cyclodiode and iridoplasty. His current interests are 24 hour IOP monitoring with innovative technology like ‘triggerfish’.
His emphasis is on quality care for his patients and patient satisfaction. He has numerous published in peer-reviewed national and international journals, presented widely in national and international meetings. He is also involved in training junior doctors as their clinical supervisor and has guided them in audit and research projects. He aims to deliver optimum and latest patient centred care. He values evidence-based care, patient safety, effective communication, empathetic approach and patient satisfaction.
His main areas of interest are as follows:
- Medical, Surgical and Laser Treatment of Glaucoma
- Cataract surgery (Sutureless phacoemulsification & lens implant)
- Laser eye treatments
- General Ophthalmology
- Complex glaucoma procedures
- Microinvasive Procedures
- Latest innovations/ treatment modalities
- Ocular surface, Dry eye, Blepharitis
- 24 hour Intraocular monitoring
- Latest Eye imaging modalities
- Minor Lid Procedures
Music, cinema, cricket, tennis, voluntary charitable work
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Rohit Sharma at Nuffield Health
- Eyelid cyst removal
- Anterior segment
- Cataract Surgery
Locations Mr Rohit Sharma works with
Mr R Sharma was awarded the 'Fight for Sight Award' by the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London which included a research bursary. He has been the chief investigator for a nationwide UK study. He has been involved in numerous research and audit projects. He has numerous publications in scientific journals and has delivered presentations at national and international conferences. He has completed a research thesis dissertation that culminated in a Masters Degree in Ophthalmology.
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- American Academy Of Ophthalmology
- Midland Glaucoma Society
- Midland Ophthalmic Society
- Delhi Ophthalmological Society
- British Medical Association
- Medical Defense Union
Other posts held
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon (Substantive), Queen’s Hospital, Burton-upon-Trent
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon (Substantive), Sir Robert Peel Hospital, Tamworth
- Consultant Ophthalmologist (Honorary), Birmingham Midlands Eye Centre, Birmingham
- Honorary (Consultant) Assistant Professor, University of Nottingham, School of Medicine, Division of Medical Sciences & Graduate Entry Medicine
Insurers Mr Rohit Sharma works with
Mr Rohit Sharma works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Rohit Sharma does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Rohit Sharma does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Rohit Sharma does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.