Mr Welbourn has been a Consultant Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon since 1998. His areas of interest are bariatric surgery, laparoscopic surgery - especially cholecystectomy (gall bladder surgery), hernia surgery including incisional hernias (he has done more than 1,200 laparoscopic inguinal (groin) hernia repairs since 2002) and anti-reflux surgery (Nissen fundoplication) for patients with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and hiatus hernias.
Mr Welbourn developed a regional bariatric surgery programme in 2003. He is one of the most well-known bariatric surgeons in the UK and was elected Council Member then President of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS).
He led Musgrove’s application to become the first International Centre of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery outside the USA in 2009, reaccredited in 2017. The unit has performed well over 3,000 procedures, comprising gastric bypass, gastric banding and sleeve gatrectomy, and he has trained many other consultants in bariatric surgery. He is the surgical lead on the nationally funded By-Band-Sleeve study, a study of weight loss and quality of life between gastric banding, gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy, and was the lead author of the National Bariatric Surgery Registry reports 2011 and 2014.
He was President of the 2017 World Congress of the International Federation for Surgery for Obesity (IFSO) held in London in 2017 and was first author of the IFSO Global Registry reports 2014-2016.
Mr Welbourn specialises in the following treatments at Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital:
In addition to bariatric surgery Mr Welbourn does the full range of benign upper GI surgery including cholecsytectomy (gallbladder removal), Nissen fundoplication for hiatus hernias (reflux disease) for which he offers a Somerset-wide surgery service, and inguinal (groin) hernia repairs, with experience of over 1,500 hernia repairs.
- Director of Audit, Association of Laparoscopic Surgeon of Great Britain & Ireland 2010 - present
- Previous elected Council member, Association of Upper GI Surgeons 2002 - 2006
- Past-President of British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society 2013 - 2015
- Founder of the National Bariatric Surgery Registry 2009, Chair of NBSR Committee 2013 - 2017
- Awarded a SCOPE International Fellowship by International Association for the Study of Obesity (IASO), nominated by its Education and Management Task Force 2012
- Multiple roles for the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) including Clinical Guidance CG189 and Quality Standards Advisory Committee 2014 - 2015
- Adviser for NCEPOD report into bariatric surgery 2012
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Richard Welbourn at Nuffield Health
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Hernia repair surgery
- Gastric band (lap banding)
- Obesity surgery (or weightloss surgery)
- Gastric bypass
- Gastric balloon (BiB)
- Weight loss surgery
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
Lead surgeon on By-Band-Sleeve, funded by the UK National Institute of Health Research, which is the world's largest randomised controlled trial (RCT) in Bariatric Surgery
Honorary Reader in Bariatric Surgery, University of Bristol. Over 150 peer-reviewed research publications, H-index 30.
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- Royal College of Surgeons of England, Edinburgh, Glasgow
- Medical Protection Society
- Associated Laparoscopic Surgeons (Council / Member)
- Association of Surgeon of Great Britain & Ireland
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland
Other post held
- Consultant Upper GI & Bariatric Surgery, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Mr Richard Welbourn works with
Mr Richard Welbourn works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Richard Welbourn does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Richard Welbourn does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Richard Welbourn holds the following paid advisory role(s) either at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health: