Mr Mihai graduated with MD (1991) and trained for three years in clinical endocrinology at ‘Carol Davilla’ University, Bucharest, Romania. After obtaining a PhD from Bristol University (1998) he worked as a Lecturer in Surgery at Bristol University (1999-2005) and Fellow in Endocrine Surgery in Oxford (2005-2007) before being appointed Consultant Endocrine Surgeon in Oxford (2007).
Mr Mihai was elected as Director of Research in the British Association of Endocrine Surgeons (2011 - 2016) and European Society of Endocrine Surgeons (2012 - 2019). He is an examiner for the European Fellowship in endocrine surgery (2008-present).
His clinical work is focused on all aspects of thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal surgery.
He performs in excess of 150 thyroid operations annually, placing his personal practice in the top five in the UK. He has developed a particular expertise in the treatment of large retrosternal goiters with critical airway compression and lymph node surgery in patients with advanced thyroid cancer (papillary and medullary thyroid cancer).
He introduced the use of recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring during thyroid surgery and was part of the international group setting-up the guidelines for its use.
Mr Mihai has extensive experience with scan-directed minimally-invasive parathyroidectomy and has a particular interest in the treatment of patients with negative scans and those with familial syndromes (MEN-1).
Mr Mihai has performed over 300 laparoscopic and retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomies. He acted as main author on the European guidelines for surgical treatment of adrenal cancer.
- Laparoscopic/retroperitoneal adrenalectomy for benign tumours and metastatic disease
- Open radical adrenalectomy for adrenocortical cancer
- Thyroid surgery for benign disease (thyroid nodule, goitre, Graves disease) and thyroid cancer
- Radical lymph node surgery for advanced thyroid cancers
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy
- Parathyroidectomy - vilateral neck exploration for scan-negative patients
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy for gallstone disease
- Open hernia surgery
Cycling & Skiing
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Radu Mihai at Nuffield Health
- Laparoscopic groin hernia repair
- Thyroid surgery (thyroidectomy)
- Open surgery groin hernia repair
- Fine needle biopsy
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Laparoscopic incisional hernia repair
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
Mr Mihai's research work on various topics in endocrine surgery led to the publication of over 70 peer-reviewed papers, 40 chapters in books, over 90 oral presentations to national and international meetings and numerous invited talks to international meetings (details on his website).
This work was rewarded by the Royal College of Surgeons with the title of Hunterian Professor of Surgery (2008).
- European Society of Endocrinology
- European Society of Endocrine Surgeons
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
- British Society for Endocrinology
Other posts held
- Consultant Endocrine Surgeon, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals Trust
Insurers Mr Radu Mihai works with
Mr Radu Mihai works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Medical Care Direct
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
- Police Mutual
Mr Radu Mihai does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Radu Mihai does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Radu Mihai does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.