Mr Rao is a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals NHS trust since 1999. He was the head of the department and the Clinical Director of Ophthalmology between 2016 and 2020. He was also the head of Medical Retina service for 16 years till 2016.
He qualified in medicine from Hyderabad, India in 1983 and spent a further 10 years in two prestigious teaching institutes at Liverpool and Aberdeen to specialise further in general Ophthalmology and Retinal diseases.
He undertakes approximately 400 cataract operations, 200 laser treatments and over 300 macular degeneration treatment procedures annually.
Society has nominated Mr Rao for the best medical retinal service in the UK for
four consecutive years between 2011 and 2014. He is also a recipient of 5
clinical excellence awards.
- Cataract Surgery
- Laser Treatments
- Age Related Macular Degeneration
- Uveitis and Diabetic Eye Disease
- Phacoemulsification and intra-ocular lens implantation
- Intravitreal injections (Avastin, Eylea, Ozurdex, Beovue)
- Glaucoma assessments & treatments
- Laser treatments
- YAG laser procedures
- OCT scans, visual fields
Mr Rao is the vice president of Sight Loss Shropshire (SLS), a voluntary organisation that supports visually handicapped.
He was also a member of Local Negotiation
Committee (LNC) and Medical Advisory Committees (MAC).
Long distance running, hill walking, bird watching, ballroom dancing (Ceroc & Modern Jive), cooking, travelling and gardening.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Prasad Rao at Nuffield Health
- YAG Capsulotomy
- Cataract Surgery
Mr Rao has published several articles in peer
reviewed national and international journals including:
- American Journal of Ophthalmology
- British Journal of Ophthalmology
- British Medical Journal
- British J of clinical practice
- Journal of clinical microbiology
- British J of diabetes and vascular disease
- Indian J of Ophthalmology
- Eur J of Implant and refractive surgery
- Ophthalmic plastic and refractive surgery
- Journal of cataract and refractive surgery
- Health Trends
- Medical audit
- Year book of Ophthalmology
- Chapter in Oxford text book of Ophthalmology.
- Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- British Medical Association
- American Association of Ophthalmologists
- Medical Retina Group
- Association of Ophthalmologists (UK)
- UK Midlands Ophthalmological Society
Other post held
- Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust, Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
Insurers Mr Prasad Rao works with
Mr Prasad Rao works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Prasad Rao does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Prasad Rao does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Prasad Rao does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.