Mr Philip McCann is a Consultant Orthopaedic Upper Limb Surgeon at Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital. He has worked and trained in the UK, Europe, North America and Australia to broaden his exposure to upper limb surgery and develop the diagnostic and operative expertise to deliver excellent patient care. He has a wide range of specialist skills that enable him to deliver a confident, modern orthopaedic practice.
Mr McCann obtained his primary medical qualifications at the University of London, before undertaking his surgical training in the South West region, principally within Bristol.
Following completion of his training program, Mr McCann undertook further sub-specialist training as the Trauma and Upper Limb Fellow at the University of Western Australia, before returning to Bristol where he was appointed at the Bristol Royal Infirmary in 2014. Since then, he has delivered a contemporary, focused and energetic upper limb service with a focus on shoulder and elbow pathology.
For more information about Mr McCann and the services he offers at Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital, visit his website by clicking here.
- Specialist interest in complex fractures of the shoulder and elbow.
- Arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery for shoulder and elbow problems including arthritis, tendon tears, impingement and instability.
- Shoulder replacement surgery including shoulder resurfacing, total anatomic shoulder replacement and reverse geometry shoulder replacement.
- Management of post traumatic, degenerative and sports-related injuries of the upper limb.
- Hand and wrist surgery including peripheral nerve decompression and tendon surgery.
- Medicolegal Reports in relation to Personal
Injury and Clinical Negligence
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Philip McCann at Nuffield Health
- Shoulder decompression - key hole surgery
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Local anaesthetic
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Shoulder Stabilisation
- Tennis elbow release
- Cartilage resurfacing
- Joint resurfacing
- Hand surgery
- Nerve surgery
- Trauma Surgery
Mr McCann has a passion for surgical research, and has taken an active interest in the academic controversies in both orthopaedic trauma surgery and elective upper limb orthopaedic surgery.
He has had the privilege to be involved in a number of research projects, and has published over 30 scientific articles in peer-reviewed international journals. He has also had the opportunity to present his work at both national and international meetings.
- AO Trauma Society
- British Trauma Society
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Shoulder and Elbow Society
Other post held
- Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon, Bristol Royal Infirnary
Insurers Mr Philip McCann works with
Mr Philip McCann works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa Global
- Cigna International
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Healix Healthcare
- Medical Care Direct
- Police Mutual
- Standard Life
- Tesco Bank
- The Exeter Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Philip McCann does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Philip McCann does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Philip McCann does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.