Mr Peter Domos is a double-fellowship trained Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, with a subspecialty interest in shoulder and elbow surgery. He qualified from the University of Pecs Medical School in Pecs, Hungary then completed his postgraduate specialist training in trauma and orthopaedics in the East of England (Cambridge) rotation. Following this he undertook the prestigious Calvert Shoulder fellowship in London and two years of subspecialist fellowship training (in France: Lyon and Toulouse; and then in Sheffield, UK). He has also visited a number of leading, world-renowned shoulder and elbow specialists in Europe (18 surgeons across 6 countries), over a three-month period, to experience other healthcare systems at clinical and managerial levels. Mr Domos is keen to encourage existing (UCL Partners, Royal Free International) and new international partnerships, to facilitate future exchange visits, share expertise and strengthen evidence-based medicine, by patient-based research.
He was awarded the winner of the BESS Travelling Fellowship 2014, as well as the Paul Calvert Research Paper Prize, the ISAKOS Upper Limb Travelling Fellowship 2016 and several other international (ESSKA) and national (Royal College of Surgeons, BOA) awards. He has always been involved in research, which initially led him to undertake an MD diploma. Since then he has never been far from research, with over 30 publications, as well as annual presentations at various scientific meetings (BESS, SECEC, ICSES, EFORT, SICOT, BOA).
He is the clinical lead for the Virtual Fracture Clinic (VFC) and the Shoulder and Elbow unit at Barnet Hospital, Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust.
He also works within a group structure at Total Orthopaedics, that exists to provide a multi-specialty service with the benefits of collaborative and innovative working.
He loves spending time with his young family. He also enjoys travelling and he is passionate about motorsports, especially car racing and Formula 1.
All aspects of shoulder and elbow surgery including full comprehensive shoulder and elbow services for degenerative disorders, sport injuries and complex trauma. His specialist interests are in shoulder and elbow arthroscopy (key hole surgery), open joint reconstruction and joint replacement:
- Elective shoulder arthroplasty/replacement (resurfacing, hemiarthroplasty, anatomic or reverse total arthroplasty +/-tendon transfer)
- Open/arthroscopic (key hole) shoulder stabilisation (labral repair, Latarjet or bone block procedure)
- Open/arthroscopic (key hole) cuff repair +/-patch augmentation or bridging, superior capsular reconstruction for massive tears
- Shoulder arthroscopic (key hole) procedures (decompression, AC-joint resection, debridement, biceps tenotomy or tenodesis, removal of calcific deposit)
- Open/arthroscopic (key hole) shoulder capsular release
- Shoulder MUA or EUA
- Elbow osteocapsular release, debridement and OK procedure
- Elbow MUA or EUA
- Tennis or Golfers elbow release
- Ulna nerve release or PIN nerve release
- Fracture or non-union fixations (clavicle, shoulder, humerus, elbow, forearm)
- Elbow stabilisation with ligament repair or reconstruction +/-radial head arthroplasty/replacement
- AC-Joint stabilisation with repair or reconstruction
- Shoulder fracture arthroplasty/replacement (Hemiarthroplasty or Reverse Arthroplasty)
- Pectoralis major tendon rupture repair or reconstruction
- Distal or proximal biceps tendon rupture repair or reconstruction
- Triceps tendon rupture repair or reconstruction
As part of his continuing professional development, he regularly attends courses, national and international meetings to keep his knowledge and skills up-to-date.
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS)
- European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and the Elbow (ESSSE/SECEC)
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and England (FRCS),
- Member of British Orthopaedic Association and British Orthopaedic Trainee Association (BOA, BOTA)
- Member of European Society for Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA)
Other posts held
- Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust (Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals)