Mr Thorpe provides a comprehensive spinal surgical service for conditions affecting the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine, including adult and paediatric spinal deformity surgery, minimal access surgery for neural compression, assessment of and surgery for back pain, injection therapies and motion preservation surgery.
He also has a medicolegal practice dealing with personal injury and clinical negligence cases. He focuses on thorough investigation, careful explanation of conditions and the full range of conservative or surgical options tailored individually for a particular patient’s needs.
He was voted in a national Daily Mail survey as one of the surgeons in the UK that other spinal surgeons would send their family to for treatment.
- Spinal Deformity
- Minimal Access Spinal Surgery
- Whiplash associated disorder
- Medico-legal practice
Mr Thorpe is married to Joanna, who is also a doctor, and they have 4 children. He sings in a local medical band "Ultrasound" and enjoys rugby, cricket, aviation, SCUBA diving and crosswords. He has also forces himself to enjoy running to keep his waistline under control!
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Paul Thorpe at Nuffield Health
- Lumbar discectomy
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Removal of spinal hardware
- Spinal anaesthetic
- Spinal (lumbar) Decompression
- Facet joint injections
- Medial facetectomy
- Cervical Spine Surgery
- Bone Graft
- Lumbar sympathetic blocks
- Nerve surgery
- X-Ray Guided Facet Joint Injection
- Trigger Point Injections
- Interspinous implant
- Spinal fusion surgery
- Epidural injection for pain relief
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Image guided joint injections
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery
- Excision of spinal tumours
- Cervical Disc Replacement
- Dorsal root ganglion block
- British Association of Spinal Surgeons
- British Scoliosis Society
- AO Spine Faculty (Silver member)
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Medical Defence Union
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Spinal and Trauma Surgeon, Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
- Consultant Spinal and Trauma Surgeon States of Health.Jersey
- Specialist Case Advisor to the Care Quality Commission
Insurers Mr Paul Thorpe works with
Mr Paul Thorpe works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- The Exeter Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Paul Thorpe does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Paul Thorpe does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Paul Thorpe does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.