Mr Paul Guyver, a Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon, joined the Royal Navy as a medical student at St George's Hospital Medical School, London and graduated in 1999. After pre-registration jobs in Portsmouth he graduated from the Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth in 2000. He completed Royal Marines Commando training and was deployed on operations with 40 and 45 Commando Royal Marines as their medical officer. He provided medical support to 1000 royal marines on operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and the Mediterranean.
He completed basic surgical training in Plymouth and gained experience in general and vascular surgery; plastic surgery; trauma and orthopaedics and urology. He was awarded Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 2006.
He undertook higher surgical training on the south west peninsula rotation from 2008-2014 and was awarded Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons for Trauma and Orthopaedic surgery in 2012. He received fellowship training in shoulder and elbow surgery at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford; Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Exeter and the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, USA. He was also awarded the Watanabe Arthroscopic Shoulder Travelling Fellowship.
He was awarded GMC Specialist Registration (Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery) in 2014 and is currently serving as a military Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon at DMG(SW) Derriford Hospital. He is a member of the Peninsula Elbow Group and regional Shoulder and Elbow group and a member of the regional training committee. He continually strives to provide first rate care with an open, honest and personal manner. In addition he aims to ensure that patients have a good understanding of their condition, treatment options and likely outcome.
His clinical practice covers the diagnosis and treatment of all musculoskeletal conditions affecting the shoulder and elbow including revision shoulder/elbow replacement; primary shoulder replacement; primary elbow replacement, shoulder stabilisation, shoulder & elbow arthroscopy (keyhole surgery); shoulder soft tissues (e.g. rotator cuff pathology); elbow soft tissues (e.g. tennis elbow).
He has published and presented widely in Orthopaedics and Trauma, and remains active in research and teaching related to shoulder and elbow disorders.
- Treatments and investigation of all musculoskeletal conditions affecting the shoulder and elbow
- Trauma related to the shoulder and elbow
- Rotator cuff tears
- Keyhole surgical techniques to release frozen shoulders and reconstructive surgery for shoulder instability and soft tissue injuries related to sports injuries
- Total shoulder replacements and elbow replacements for painful arthritic conditions
Rugby, travel, running and Skiing. He also coaches mini rugby at Ivybridge RFC.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Paul Guyver at Nuffield Health
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Shoulder decompression - key hole surgery
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Local anaesthetic
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Cubital tunnel release
- Tennis elbow release
- Fellow of the British Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- Combined Services Orthopaedic Society
- Medical Defence Union
Other post held
- Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon with Specialist Interest in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery at Derriford Hospital Plymouth
Insurers Mr Paul Guyver works with
Mr Paul Guyver works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr Paul Guyver does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Paul Guyver does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Paul Guyver does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.