Professor Hossain has wide experience and expertise in all aspects of anterior segment surgery specifically in Corneal and Cataract Surgery (including Corneal Transplantation). His special interests include ocular inflammation, including Allergic Eye Disease, Blepharitis, Conjunctivitis, Dry Eyes and Corneal Inflammatory Diseases.
Ophthalmology with sub-specialist interest in cornea and cataract surgery.
Parwez has three children and lives in the beautiful city of Winchester.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Parwez Hossain at Nuffield Health
- Cataract Surgery
Parwez's research career started at Aberdeen University where he was awarded a Wellcome Trust Research PhD Fellowship to study the mechanisms of lymphocyte traffic in ocular inflammation. His interest in immune mechanisms continued whilst working as a Clinical Lecturer at Nottingham University where he found there he determined certain corneal markers are dys-regulated during corneal inflammation.
In his current post at University of Southampton his research activity is focussed on three areas of Corneal Disease:
- Determining the Mechanisms & Potential Therapies in Corneal Inflammatory Disease
- Anterior Segment Imaging of the Eye
- Corneal Nerve Parameters to screen early Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
He has received grant funding from the British Council for the Prevention of Blindiness, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, TFC Frost Foundation & Gift of Sight.
He has developed special surgical skill in oculra surface surgey and lamellar corneal surgery such as DSEK. He is also the clinical lead of the NHS Blood & Transplant supported Southampton Eye Retrieval Centre.
- The Cornea Society
- American Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Association for Research in Vision Ophthalmology
- Medical Contact Lens Ocular Surface Society
- British Society for Immunology
- Royal Society for Medicine
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon &
- Senior Lecturer at University of Southampton
Professor Parwez Hossain does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Parwez Hossain does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Parwez Hossain does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.