Mr. Viswanathan is a highly skilled and experienced surgeon, specializing in cataract surgery and retinal surgery. He obtained his Master's degree in ophthalmic surgery in India before moving to the UK for further training in ophthalmology. He underwent ophthalmology training in London, Belfast, and Nottingham, ultimately gaining membership and fellowship of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London. He undertook a retinal surgery fellowship encompassing high-volume vitreo-retinal surgical experience.
Mr. Viswanathan was appointed as consultant in 2010. Since 2017 he is a consultant ophthalmologist at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals NHS Trust, located in Shropshire, where he specializes in complex cataract surgery, including toric and multifocal lenses, and retinal surgery. He is one of the few ophthalmologists who perform high volume cataract surgery, and he has gained vast experience and skill in various aspects of general ophthalmology.
He is also an educational and clinical supervisor for trainees at SaTH, actively involved in the surgical training of junior eye doctors, and is a member of various ophthalmologist associations, presenting his work both nationally and internationally. Additionally, he runs a retinal surgery fellowship program and is an examiner for ophthalmology fellowship examinatio
Mr. Viswanathan is committed to continuously reviewing his results and auditing his outcomes to ensure that they meet or exceed established standards and also provide the highest quality of care to his patients in Shrewsbury and Telford, Shropshire.
Mr. Viswanathan has expertise in:
- Cataract surgery including toric and multifocal intraocular lenses
- Complex cataract surgery and cataract surgery in the presence of retinal disorders
- YAG laser capsulotomy
- Retinal surgeries for floaters, macular holes, epiretinal membrane, retinal detachment
- Medical retina disorders like diabetic retinopathy, retinal vein occlusion, age-related macular degeneration
- Glaucoma treatment
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Palpandian Viswanathan at Nuffield Health
- Visual Fields
- YAG Capsulotomy
- Cataract Surgery
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
- Midland Ophthalmological Society
- British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
- European Society of Retina Specialist
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
Other posts held
- Consultant Ophthalmologist, Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
- Consultant Retinal Surgeon, Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
- Clinical Governance Lead for Ophthalmology, Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
- Patient Safety Lead for Ophthalmology, Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Palpandian Viswanathan works with
Mr Palpandian Viswanathan works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Healix Healthcare
- Police Mutual
- Standard Life
- Tesco Bank
- The Exeter Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Palpandian Viswanathan does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Palpandian Viswanathan does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Palpandian Viswanathan does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.