Mr Martinez-Devesa qualified in Medicine and Surgery in 1993, from 1997 trained in ENT and was appointed as a Consultant ENT Surgeon in Oxford in 2007.
Having performed nearly 8,000 ENT surgical procedures he has extensive experience in all general aspects of ENT both in adults and children, as well as more specialised areas detailed below:
Rhinology and Anterior Skull Base Surgery
He has a specialist interest in the medical and surgical treatment (over 3,800 nasal and sinus procedures performed) of all Rhinological diseases, including rhinitis and allergy, treatment of epistaxis, surgery for nasal obstruction, all types of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, including Image Guided FESS and Balloon Sinuplasty for chronic sinus infections.
He has treated surgically nearly 1,000 cases of more complex Sinus and Anterior Skull Base Disease, with the use of intraoperative Image Guidance Navigation System for revision and complex Endoscopic Frontal Sinus Surgery - Modified Lothrop / Draf 3, Endonasal Surgery for the treatment of Epiphora (watery eye) and Vidian Neurectomy for the treatment of Vasomotor Rhinitis (watery nose), Endoscopic Orbital Decompression for Thyroid Eye Disease, Endoscopic Resection and Repair of Anterior Skull Base Tumours and defects (Chondrosarcomas, Chordomas, Meningiomas, Osteomas, CSF leaks, Encephaloceles and other) and in the use of various external surgical approaches for the treatment of Tumours in the Sinuses and Skull Base, such as Lateral Rhinotomy and Midfacial Degloving.
Before acquiring specialist training in Rhinology and Anterior Skull Base Surgery, Mr Martinez-Devesa trained as an Otological Surgeon and he has a broad experience in the management of acute and chronic ear disease, in particular childhood hearing problems.
He has performed close to 2,000 otological operations (half of them were Major Otological procedures - Mastoid surgery, Tympanoplasty, Ossiculoplasty) for hearing loss, ear infections and cholesteatoma in children and adults, including LASER assisted surgery and Oto-Endoscopic techniques.
He also has extensive experience in the treatment of Meniere’s disease, vertigo and tinnitus.
- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery with image guidance
- Endoscopic Balloon Sinus Dilation (Sinuplasty)
- Septoplasty and Turbinoplasty / Surgery for Nasal Obstruction
- Vidian Neurectomy / Surgical Treatment of Rhinitis
- Tympanoplasty / Surgery to repair Tympanic Membrane Perforation
- Mastoid Surgery for Chronic Ear Infections / Cholesteatoma
- Medical and Surgical Treatment of Vertigo / Meniere's
- Adult and Paediatric General ENT
- Rhinology (nose and sinuses, functional rhinoplasty)
- Otology (chronic ear disease, cholesteatoma, hearing loss, tinnitus, balance disorders)
- Anterior Skull Base Surgery (CSF leaks, tumours)
Outdoor sports activities, mountain bike riding, trekking,
tennis and golf.
Sailing – Spanish qualifications for sailing instructor and Coastal Skipper.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Pablo Martinez-Devesa at Nuffield Health
- Blood test
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS)
- Ear drum repair (Myringoplasty)
- Allergy testing
- CT scan (or CAT scan)
- Antral washout
- Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Barium Meal or Enema
- Mastoid surgery
- Microsuction earwax removal
- MRI scan
- Head and neck surgery
- Balloon Sinuplasty
- Grommet insertion
- Skull base surgery
- Middle ear surgery
- Nasal polypectomy
Mr Martinez-Devesa has over 50 publications in peer review journals covering all aspects of Otolaryngology.
In rhinology he has conducted research in the medical treatment of nasal polyps, the use of antifibrinolytic agents for the treatment of epistaxis and the need and type of packing after nasal surgery. He has also studied the anatomical aspects of the frontal sinus for surgery in this area.
In the field of Otology he has researched into the pathophysiology of chronic otitis externa in particular in the changes (and restoration) of external ear canal skin pH that affects the chronicity of this condition.
Mr Martinez-Devesa has also conducted research in the effectiveness of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for the treatment for tinnitus.
He has published and lectured in the UK and Europe about the Quality of Life (physical, emotional and social aspects) in patients treated for malignant tumours of the Skull Base and Head and Neck.
Mr Martinez-Devesa has contributed various book chapters in ENT and Anterior Skull Base Surgery and is also a co-author of the Oxford Specialist Handbooks in Surgery: Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery: a reference book for Specialty Trainees during their training and career in ENT.
- British Association of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (ENT-UK)
- British Rhinological Society
- British Society of Otology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Other posts held
- Adult and Paediatric ENT Consultant, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
- Core Member of the Oxford Skull Base, Rhino-Orbital and CranioFacial Trauma teams
- Core member of the UK Necrotising Otitis Externa group (UK-NOE)
Insurers Mr Pablo Martinez-Devesa works with
Mr Pablo Martinez-Devesa works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- Benenden Health
- Bupa Global
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Healix Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Pablo Martinez-Devesa does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Pablo Martinez-Devesa does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Pablo Martinez-Devesa does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.