- Specialities Orthopaedics, Paediatric Orthopaedics, Sports Medicine, Musculoskeletal, Key Hole Surgery, Joint Replacement, Soft Tissue Injuries
- Telephone 01133 882 067
- Year of first qualification 1989
- GMC Number 3440687
- Fax 0113 388 2187
Mr Nick London is an expert knee surgeon with particular expertise in sports injuries and knee replacement surgery. He has extensive experience, developed over 17 years as a consultant, and has performed thousands of arthroscopic (key-hole) surgeries, ACL reconstructions and knee replacements. As a leading knee replacement surgeon, his personal experience of more than 5,000 operations includes more than 1,600 partial knee replacements, thousands of total knee replacements and many complex revision procedures.
Mr London offers a complete service to all orthopaedic knee conditions from those developing in children and adolescents, through sports injuries in athletes of all abilities (elite professionals to ‘weekend warriors’) and ultimately to knee replacement in patients with severe arthritis.
In addition to working with elite sportsmen (in rugby, football, cricket etc…) he has a particular interest in managing the young, active patient with arthritis and works with the orthopaedic industry to develop and evaluate the latest treatments and techniques.
Following training at Cambridge University, a Yorkshire surgical rotation and a Fellowship year in Australia, he was appointed Consultant in Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery at Harrogate District Hospital in 2000 and maintains a busy and active NHS practice. In addition to clinical practice, he has extensive teaching, training, development and research commitments.
Mr London specialises in the following treatments, tests and scans at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital:
- ACL repair at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital
- Cartilage reconstruction
- Cartilage resurfacing
- Joint resurfacing
- Knee arthroscopy
- Knee replacement (partial)
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee replacement surgery
- Manipulation under anaesthetic (MUA)
- PCL reconstruction
- Tendon problems
- Tibial osteotomy
- Unicompartmental Knee Replacement (UKR)
- Weekly Wednesday evening
- Weekly Friday PM
- Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon, Harrogate District Foundation Trust
Mr London lectures and teaches about knee surgery procedures and developments worldwide. This includes convening regular workshops in the UK and across Europe to train consultant colleagues and senior trainees. He regularly hosts visiting surgeons interested in learning specialised surgical procedures.
In 2011, he was elected to membership of The European Knee Associates (EKA). Following this he became a founder member of the prestigious European Knee Society. This exciting society aims to advance knee arthritis surgery and education by bringing together European opinion leaders and holds regular open and closed meetings.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association of Surgery of the Knee
- British Orthopaedic and Sports Trauma Association
- European Society of Sport Traumatology
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- International Cartilage Research Society
- European Knee Associates
Nick London has produced multiple, peer-reviewed publications in the field of knee surgery. His broad research portfolio includes:
- Management of ACL injuries in children
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Anatomical gender differences at knee replacement
- Minimally invasive knee replacement vs. Conventional – RCT (a randomised controlled trial)
- Load absorption for knee arthritis
- Bilateral simultaneous knee replacement
He has worked closely with Zimmer, DePuy and Moximed (orthopaedic implant companies) and has consultancy, educational and developmental roles. Contracts with these companies are fully disclosed and approved by Harrogate District Foundation Trust, to avoid any potential conflict of interest.
‘Knee fellowships’ are competitive attachments to an expert consultant with a special interest in the treatment of knee conditions. Mr London spent a year in Brisbane working with two of Australia’s most experienced and renowned knee surgeons from 1999-2000.
In 2003 he set up an international fellowship in Harrogate to give senior orthopaedic trainees the opportunity to study knee surgery and be involved in ongoing research and development activities. This is a 6-month fellowship and has now attracted more than 16 knee fellows with both local and international backgrounds.
DeclarationMr Nick London works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health
Mr Nick London does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Nick London does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Nick London does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.