Mr Salam has over 20 years experience in general ENT surgery. He has special expertise in nasal allergy and endoscopic sinus surgery where he has performed over 1000 procedures. He has written several publications on this type of surgery in peer review journals. His results were published at the RCS National Sino-Nasal Audit and were among the top 10 surgeons in the UK.
Mr Salam is in charge of the voice clinic at Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust where he treats patients with voice disorders in conjunction with speech therapists. He also runs the facial plastic clinic for treatment of facial skin lesions.
Mr Salam was the audit lead for ENT and is interested in auditing all his surgical results and clinical practice. He also uses this forum for teaching and training junior doctors. He organises and teaches on regional and national courses for endoscopic sinus surgery and rhinoplasty surgery. Mr Salam spent eight years in a senior management post in Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust and was responsible for seven surgical specialties.
Mr Salam introduced Balloon
Tuboplasty technique for treatment of Eustachian tube dysfunction for the first
time in the UK nearly eight years ago. He published his
results in international journals and presented it at international
conferences. He is the only surgeon in Suffolk who performs this
- Endoscopic sinus surgery and balloon sinuplasty
- Endoscopic Balloon Tuboplasty for Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
- Facial skin lesions
- Voice and swallowing disorders
Travelling abroad and exploring different cultures, football, badminton and table tennis, classical music and musical shows.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Mahmoud Salam at Nuffield Health
- Deviated septum (Septoplasty)
- Head and neck oncology
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS)
- Antral washout
- Excision of skin lesion
- Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Larynx diagnostic endoscopy (or laryngoscopy)
- Adult audiology hearing aid provision
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Mastoid surgery
- Submandibular gland removal
- Head and neck surgery
- Balloon Sinuplasty
- Grommet insertion
- Middle ear surgery
- Nasal polypectomy
Mr Salam has wide experience in research and has over 45 publications in peer review journals. He has over 60 presentations of his clinical and scientific research at both national and international conferences.
He has supervised the research of junior doctors to achieve higher research degrees including MSc and MD.
Mr Salam has been awarded several prizes for his outstanding achievements while in training including:
- January 1996:Juniors Presentation First Prize presented at the Midland Institute of Otology, Birmingham.
- May 1996: Down’s Temporal Bone Dissection Prize presented at the Royal Society of Medicine, London.
- February 1997: Intercollegiate Speciality Board Gold Medal presented at the Royal Society of Medicine,London.
- May 1997: Laryngology & Rhinology Section Research Prize presented at the Royal Society of Medicine, London
Mr Salam has achieved two scientific research degrees as follows:
- M.D. in Otolaryngology - Thesis submitted to Cairo University (December 1989), The use of pyriform sinus mucosal flap for reconstruction after conservation surgery of the larynx.
- M.Sc. in Biological Sciences - Thesis submitted to the University of Warwick (April 1995), The prevalence of different Human Papillomavirus types and p53 mutations in laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas.
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Medical Association
- European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- British Rhinological Society
- Royal Society of Medicine
- European Rhinological Society
- Medical Defence Union
Other posts held
- Consultant ENT Surgeon, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Mahmoud Salam works with
Mr Mahmoud Salam works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Mahmoud Salam does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Mahmoud Salam does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Mahmoud Salam does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.