Mr Shafi qualified in Medicine from the University of Wales, Cardiff in 1981. Following his first hospital posts in South Wales he moved to Birmingham where he completed the majority of his specialist training. This was followed by a two-year research fellowship focusing on cervical cancer, which resulted in the award of his Doctor of Medicine degree. Having gained accreditation in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, he then went on to specialise in Gynaecological Oncology. This entailed another two years of subspecialist training.
Mr Shafi is Medical Director for Nuffield Health. He is emeritus consultant Gynaecological Surgeon and Oncologist at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He has wide ranging interests with a national/international profile.
Mr Shafi specialises in the following treatments in Cambridge:
- Weekly Monday 13:30 - 18.00
- Monthly 3rd Monday 0900-1300
- Other times by special arrangement
- Medical Director, Nuffield Health
- Gynaecological Surgeon and Oncologist at Nuffield Health Hospital Cambridge
Mr Shafi has held many positions within the profession at regional, national and international level and has a major interest in cancer prevention programmes.
He is on the editorial board of several medical journals.
Whilst working in the NHS, he had a National Silver Clinical Excellence Award.
- President East Anglian Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society (EAOGS) 2014-2017
- President British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (BSCCP) 2009-2012
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Chair of the Medical Advisory Committee, Cambridge Nuffield Hospital 2008-2016
- Chair of the Recertification Committee, Royal College of Obstetricians Gynaecologists 2009-12
- Advisor to international bodies in relation to Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Visiting Professor of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Pakistan
Mr Shafi’s main research interests are gynaecological cancers, their management and prevention. His research activities concentrated on cervical cancer and pre-cancer for which Mr Shafi gained a Doctor of Medicine.
Mr Shafi has published in excess of 140 scientific articles/chapters/reviews. He has authored several textbooks related to the speciality. These books are used by postgraduates and included texts that are considered as essential reading within the profession as well as reference textbooks.
A sample of Mr Shafi’s publications include:
1. Mahmood Shafi, Helen Bolton, Ketankumar Gajjar, Title: Gynaecological Oncology for the MRCOG, Year 2018, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
2. A Coomarasamy, Mahmood Shafi, G Willy Davilla, KK Chan, Title: Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery: Challenges and Management Options, Year 2016, Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell
3. EJ Bieber, JS Sanfilippo, IR Horowitz, Mahmood Shafi, Title: Clinical Gynecology, Year 2015, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
4. Mahmood Shafi, Saloney Nazeer, Title: Colposcopy - A Practical Guide, 2nd Edition, Year: 2012, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
5. Mahmood Shafi, Saloney Nazeer, Title: Best practice & research clinical obstetrics and gynaecology – Colposcopy and cervical pathology, Year: 2011, Publisher: Elsevier
6. Shafi, Earl, Tan, Title: Gynaecological Oncology, Year: 2009, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
7. Shafi MI, Title: Cervix chart for sample takers in primary care, Year: 2006, Publisher: NHSCSP
8. Jordan, Singer, Jones III, Shafi, Title: The Cervix, Year: 2006, Publisher: Blackwell Publishers
9. Mahmood Shafi, Saloney Nazeer, Title: Colposcopy - a practical guide, Year: 2006, Publisher: Fivepin publishing
10. Luesley, Shafi, Jordan, Title: Handbook of Colposcopy, 2nd edition, Year: 2002, Publisher: Arnold Publishers
11. Shafi, Luesley, Jordan, Title: Handbook of Gynaecological Oncology, Year: 2001, Publisher: Harcourt Brace Publishers
DeclarationMr Mahmood Shafi works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Mahmood Shafi has the following interest in this hospital/ another Nuffield Health hospital or the company:
Mr Shafi has has indicated that he has invested in the Nuffield Health Bond marketed in 2013.
Mr Mahmood Shafi does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Mahmood Shafi holds the following paid advisory role(s) either at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health:
In November 2017 Mahmood Shafi was appointed as the Medical Director for Nuffield Health. In that role Mr Shafi supports the strategic vision and development of differentiated propositions and entry into new markets. Mr Shafi also ensures strong clinical leadership, governance and enhanced doctor engagement across Nuffield Health Hospitals.