Mr Shafi qualified in Medicine from the University of Wales, Cardiff in 1981. Following his first hospital posts in South Wales he moved to Birmingham where he completed the majority of his specialist training. This was followed by a two-year research fellowship focusing on cervical cancer, which resulted in the award of his Doctor of Medicine degree. Having gained accreditation in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, he then went on to specialise in Gynaecological Oncology. This entailed another two years of subspecialist training.
Mr Shafi is emeritus consultant Gynaecological Surgeon and Oncologist at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He has wide ranging interests with a national/international profile.
Mr Shafi specialises in the following treatments in Cambridge:
Mr Shafi has held many positions within the profession at regional, national and international level and has a major interest in cancer prevention programmes.
He is on the editorial board of several medical journals.
Whilst working in the NHS, he had a National Silver Clinical Excellence Award.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Mahmood Shafi at Nuffield Health
- Cervical smear
- Cone biopsy
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
- Hysterectomy surgery
- Hormonal coil
- Pelvic floor repair
- Labial reduction (labiaplasty)
- Gynaecological ultrasound
Mr Shafi’s main research interests are gynaecological cancers, their management and prevention. His research activities concentrated on cervical cancer and pre-cancer for which Mr Shafi gained a Doctor of Medicine.
Mr Shafi has published in excess of 140 scientific articles/chapters/reviews. He has authored several textbooks related to the speciality. These books are used by postgraduates and included texts that are considered as essential reading within the profession as well as reference textbooks.
A sample of Mr Shafi’s publications include:
1. Mahmood Shafi, Helen Bolton, Ketankumar Gajjar, Title: Gynaecological Oncology for the MRCOG, Year 2018, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
2. A Coomarasamy, Mahmood Shafi, G Willy Davilla, KK Chan, Title: Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery: Challenges and Management Options, Year 2016, Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell
3. EJ Bieber, JS Sanfilippo, IR Horowitz, Mahmood Shafi, Title: Clinical Gynecology, Year 2015, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
4. Mahmood Shafi, Saloney Nazeer, Title: Colposcopy - A Practical Guide, 2nd Edition, Year: 2012, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
5. Mahmood Shafi, Saloney Nazeer, Title: Best practice & research clinical obstetrics and gynaecology – Colposcopy and cervical pathology, Year: 2011, Publisher: Elsevier
6. Shafi, Earl, Tan, Title: Gynaecological Oncology, Year: 2009, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
7. Shafi MI, Title: Cervix chart for sample takers in primary care, Year: 2006, Publisher: NHSCSP
8. Jordan, Singer, Jones III, Shafi, Title: The Cervix, Year: 2006, Publisher: Blackwell Publishers
9. Mahmood Shafi, Saloney Nazeer, Title: Colposcopy - a practical guide, Year: 2006, Publisher: Fivepin publishing
10. Luesley, Shafi, Jordan, Title: Handbook of Colposcopy, 2nd edition, Year: 2002, Publisher: Arnold Publishers
11. Shafi, Luesley, Jordan, Title: Handbook of Gynaecological Oncology, Year: 2001, Publisher: Harcourt Brace Publishers
- President East Anglian Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society (EAOGS) 2014-2017
- President British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (BSCCP) 2009-2012
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Chair of the Medical Advisory Committee, Cambridge Nuffield Hospital 2008-2016
- Chair of the Recertification Committee, Royal College of Obstetricians Gynaecologists 2009-12
- Advisor to international bodies in relation to Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Visiting Professor of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Pakistan
Other post held
- Gynaecological Surgeon and Oncologist at Nuffield Health Hospital Cambridge
Insurers Mr Mahmood Shafi works with
Mr Mahmood Shafi works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Mahmood Shafi has the following interest in this hospital/ another Nuffield Health hospital or the company:
Mr Shafi has has indicated that he has invested in the Nuffield Health Bond marketed in 2013.
Mr Mahmood Shafi does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Mahmood Shafi does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.