Mr Van Niekerk has been a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon since 2000. He undertook Fellowship training in the management of sports injuries in 1999 at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Hospital in Oswestry, Shropshire.
Mr Van Niekerk and his team offer a comprehensive service in the diagnosis and management (operative and non-operative) of injuries of the knee and ankle. With a national network of physiotherapy partners the team provide a comprehensive rehabilitation programme after injury or surgery.
His main area of expertise is in arthroscopic (key-hole) treatment as well as ligament reconstruction of knee and ankle injuries. From 2000 to-date his NHS and private practice is solely focused on the treatment of lower limb injuries in sport at all levels including premiership football and other elite sportsmen and women.
- Knee General: Arthroscopy (key hole surgery), Meniscus tear, Arthritis
- Knee Ligaments: Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction, Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL), Multiligament reconstruction, Patella (knee cap) Instability
- Knee Cartilage: Cartilage repair, Cartilage Transplantation, Osteochondritis Dissecans repair
- Ankle General: Arthroscopy(key hole surgery), cartilage Repair and Transplantation Arthritis, Arthroscopic Ankle Fusion
- Ankle Ligaments: Ligament repair and Reconstruction
- Ankle Tendons: Repair, Reconstruction and Transplantation
Treatments and tests offered by Mr L Van Niekerk at Nuffield Health
- Keller's arthroplasty
- Knee arthroscopy surgery
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
Mr Van Niekerk lectures nationally and internationally on ligament reconstruction and cartilage repair of the knee and ankle. He has published widely on the surgical management of patella instability (kneecap dislocation) and ligament deficiency of the sports injured ankle.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellow of the British Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow of the British Association for Surgery of the Knee
Other post held
- Consultant in Orthopaedic Surgery - South Tees NHS Trust (Friarage Hospital, Northallerton)
Mr L Van Niekerk does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr L Van Niekerk does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr L Van Niekerk does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.