Mr Park specialises in:
- Cataract surgery including premium lens implants.
- Posterior capsule opacification treatment with YAG laser.
- Medical retinal treatments (laser and eye injections) for age related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vein occlusion and macular oedema.
- Surgical retina treatments (vitrectomy and laser) for epi-retinal membranes, macular hole, floaters and retinal detachment.
- General ophthalmology.
Mr Park is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon with a specialist interest in cataract surgery (including premium lens implants), medical retina and surgical retina. He is based at the Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital and Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust.
Mr Park qualified as a doctor from the University of Bristol in 2005 with honours in medicine and surgery. He completed an additional year of research to be awarded an honours degree in anatomical sciences.
Mr Park then completed seven years of Ophthalmic surgical training in South West England. Following this, he completed an internationally respected retinal specialist fellowship at the University of Toronto, Canada. This provided extensive experience in the treatment of retinal disorders at the largest retinal unit in North America.
Mr Park provides cataract surgery tailored to fit the specific requirements of each individual patient he treats. He provides the option of premium lens implants including toric lens implants for astigmatism and extended depth of focus lens implants (new generation of multi-focal implants). Given his retinal surgery sub-specialty training, he also provides cataract surgery for complex cases.
Mr Park offers care for a variety of retinal eye diseases including age related macular degeneration (AMD), retinal vein occlusion, diabetic eye disease, retinal detachment, macular hole and epi-retinal membrane. This includes the provision of intra-vitreal injections, laser procedures and vitrectomy surgery.
Mr Park is a co-founder and training instructor for the South West Ophthalmic Research and Development group. This utilises virtual reality surgical simulators to train our future eye surgeons.
Mr Park also acts as a NHS clinical and educational supervisor for ophthalmic specialty trainees.
Mr Park enjoys living in Somerset since it is a fantastic location for his family to grow up and it offers lots of outdoor activities on the doorstep.
He enjoys endurance road cycling across the Somerset levels and up into either the Quantocks, Blackdown Hills, or if time allows, Exmoor.
He is always hoping for the sun to shine and good waves to roll in, so a surf trip to the North coast can be appreciated. When the temperatures drop the surfboard is switched for a snowboard and trips to the mountains with friends and family brighten up the winter months.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Jonathan Park at Nuffield Health
- Eyelid cyst removal
- Anterior segment
- Visual Fields
- Cataract Surgery
Mr Park has been the chief investigator for both national and international research studies. He has presented his research at over 60 conferences across the UK, Europe and North America.
Mr Park has published over 30 research articles in peer-reviewed journals including the British Journal of Ophthalmology, Eye, Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, Medical Teacher and Expert Reviews of Ophthalmology.
He has also acted as an invited speaker on research at the Royal College of Ophthalmologists annual congress and completed by invitation expert journal article reviews.
Mr Park has received several local, national and international awards for his research projects which include:
- Global Ophthalmology Award Program (GOAP) – an international award from Bayer to support his international fellowship in Toronto.
- National Eye Research Centre (NERC) research project funding – a national award.
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists Fight for Sight Award – a national award.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
- British and Eire Association of Vitreo-Retinal Surgeons (BEAVRS)
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- General Medical Council (on specialist register)
- The Association of Ophthalmologists Specialist Indemnity Scheme (AOOSIS)
Other post held
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon specialising in Medical and Surgical Retina at Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust.
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at the Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital.
Insurers Mr Jonathan Park works with
Mr Jonathan Park works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Jonathan Park does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Jonathan Park has the following interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital:
Owns a 7.14% share of YAG Laser Capsulotomy & Iridotomy and SLT Laser.
Mr Jonathan Park does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.