Mr John Awad is a consultant ophthalmologist with specific surgical expertise in state-of-the-art micro-incision (key-hole) cataract and oculoplastic surgery. Having graduated with a medical degree from Manchester University and with a very early interest in ophthalmology, he went on to gain further medical elective experience in this field at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital and spent an influential time in the Cook Islands.
Having completed his post-graduate ophthalmic specialist training in the West Midlands Deanery, he underwent a further fellowship in oculoplastic, lacrimal and orbital surgery at one of the largest tertiary referral centres in the country; Birmingham Midland Eye Centre.
Mr Awad is a full member of the British Oculoplastic Surgical Society. This prestigious society is a national governing society that upholds excellence in research and training.
With an interest in teaching and training, he is an examiner for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists. He not only has several publications but has also been invited to review articles for peer-reviewed journals and has presented at national and international level.
Mr Awad enjoys spending time with his family, travelling and playing tennis. Having grown up in a coastal village in Norfolk, he enjoys all things seaside related.
As well as managing the full range of general ophthalmic conditions, Mr Awad has special interests in:
- Tailored cataract and refractive lens surgery (including multifocal lens implants)
- Micro – incision cataract surgery
- Refractive lens exchange
- General ophthalmology
- Oculoplastic surgery
- Lacrimal (tear drainage) surgery
- Cosmetic eyelid procedures
- Emergency eye care
- Watery eye
- Dry eye
- Cataract surgery
- Eyelid cyst removal
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid reshaping)
- Drooping eyelids correction (ptosis repair)
- Visual fields
- Eyebrow lift
- Peri ocular skin cancer excision and reconstruction
Mr Awad prides himself on providing customised, patient-centred care.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr John Awad at Nuffield Health
- Eyelid cyst removal
- Drooping eyelids (Ptosis correction)
- Lacrimal surgery
- YAG Capsulotomy
- Cataract Surgery
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Reshaping)
- Full member of the British Oculoplastic Surgical Society (BOPSS)
- British Medical Association
- Midland Ophthalmological Society
- Fellow Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- General Medical Council
Other posts held
- Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Consultant Ophthalmologist and Oculoplastic Surgeon and Clinical Lead for Eye Emergency Services
Insurers Mr John Awad works with
Mr John Awad works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Freedom Health
- Healix Healthcare
- Police Mutual
- Standard Life
- The Exeter Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr John Awad does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr John Awad does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr John Awad does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.