Mr Kersey graduated from Cambridge University in 1994 and The Royal London Medical School in 1997. He completed his Registrar training in Cambridge and Norwich, before undertaking a world class specialist fellowship in paediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus in Vancouver, Canada.
Since his appointment as a Consultant, Mr Kersey has undertaken extensive further training in advanced cataract and refractive surgery, including laser eye surgery.
Mr Kersey specialises in micro incision cataract surgery, including the use of multifocal and toric lens implants.
During his time as College Tutor at The Royal Bournemouth Hospital, Mr Kersey introduced a Cataract Virtual Reality Simulator (the only one in the Wessex region) to enhance cataract training for junior doctors in the region. He is committed to the training of junior colleagues, studying for two years for a Diploma in Medical Education at Winchester University. He has trained many surgeons in both cataract and squint surgery in his NHS practice.
He continues to attend regular meetings, both nationally and internationally, in cataract and refractive surgery to ensure he can offer his patients the very latest techniques.
- Cataracts, including the use of multifocal and toric lens implants
- Children’s eye disease
- Optic nerve conditions
- Age related macular degeneration
- All aspects of general ophthalmology
Mr Kersey has organised over 20 GP training sessions in Ophthalmology.
He organised the British Isles Paediatric Ophthalmology Association’s national meeting in Bournemouth in 2012, and was the BIPOSA treasurer 2012-2016.
He has co-written a book “Clinical techniques in Ophthalmology” published by Churchill Livingstone.
He has presented at both regional and national meetings.
- Laser refractive surgery
- Cataract surgery
- Paediatric ophthalmology and strabismus
He has a keen interest in cycling, swimming and running which he combines by regularly competing in local Dorset triathlons.He completed the Devizes to Westminster canoe marathon in 2003. He enjoys sailing and canoeing when time allows.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr James Kersey at Nuffield Health
- Cataract surgery
- Squint surgery
Mr Kersey has published papers in the following areas:
- The use of toric lenses in cataract surgery
- The effects of steroids on the eye
- The use of lasers in glaucoma
- Ocular manifestations of Fabry’s Disease
- Safe levels of oxygen in premature babies
- Fellow Royal College of Opthalmologists
- British Isles Paediatric Opthalmology and Strabismus Association
- European Neuro-Opthalmology Society
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
Other post held
- Consultant Opthalmologist, Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital
- Consultant Opthalmologist, Royal Bournemouth Hospital
Insurers Mr James Kersey works with
Mr James Kersey works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr James Kersey does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr James Kersey does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr James Kersey does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.