Mr Iqroop Chopra is a leading Consultant Spinal Neurosurgeon based in Cardiff. His areas of expertise lie in non-operative and operative management of spinal conditions such as spinal tumours and slipped discs. He also specialises in sciatica (leg pain), neck and back pain, arm pain and minimally invasive surgery.
Mr Chopra is a spinal fellowship-trained neurosurgeon and has been practising full-time as a consultant spinal neurosurgeon at Cardiff and Vale Hospital since 2007. In addition, he also has practising privileges at Nuffield Health Cardiff and Vale Hospitals. Mr Chopra trained in London at tertiary neurosurgical and orthopaedic hospitals and is qualified to treat spinal problems from both an orthopaedic and a neurosurgical perspective, giving him a unique approach in treating the entire spectrum of spinal conditions. In order to offer the best and most effective treatment for each and every one of his patients, Mr Chopra also works closely with Radiologists, Physiotherapists and Pain Management specialists.
Mr Chopra has a strong interest in teaching and training, and in role-modelling strong organisational skills. For the last few years, has been convenor of Spinal revision course and also actively involved in teaching at the Cardiff University as an honorary lecturer. He has previously been Chair, Education and Training, British Association of Spinal Surgeons (BASS) for two years. At present, he is the Clinical lead for Spinal Services at Cardiff & Vale NHS trust.
Over the past five years, Mr Chopra has also been proactively working with SpineAid; a charity involved in treating spinal deformities in children and young adults in India. This passion grew out of a desire to give back to the system and help to treat neurosurgical anomalies in deserving patients with spinal deformities who cannot afford to pay for their own surgery. Consequently, he is now working to establish medical centres in India that can offer surgery to these patients.
Mr Chopra runs a clinic including a one stop clinic at the Cardiff Bay Hospital every Monday and another clinic at the Vale Hospital on alternate Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Neck pain and Brachalgia (radiating arm pain)
- Back pain and Sciatica.
- Radiculopathy and Myelopathy.
- Slip disc (prolapsed) and canal stenosis.
- Spinal infection, trauma, tumour.
- Minimally invasisve surgery including microscopic surgery.
- Artificial disc replacement.
- Fusion surgery for deformity.
- Soft and dynamic stabilisation.
- Chiari malformation and tethered cord
- Cervical and Lumbar surgery
- Excision of spinal tumours
- Lumbar Micro-discectomy
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Iqroop Chopra at Nuffield Health
- Lumbar discectomy
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Spinal (lumbar) Decompression
- Cervical Spine Surgery
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery
- Excision of spinal tumours
- Carpal tunnel release
- Epidural injection for pain relief
- Interspinous implant
- Spinal fusion surgery
- Cervical Disc Replacement
- Dorsal root ganglion block
- Degenerative cervical disc disease, fusion verses arthroplastly
- Neural tissue regeneration
- Spinal outcome assessment.
- Motion preservation and dynamic stabilisation.
- Research thesis on Anterior cervical fusion and endoscopy.
- Book chapters on micro-discectomy and spinal surgery.
- Over 20 published papers, abstracts in various peer reviewed journals.
- Neurosurgery Specialist Register
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons
Other posts held
- Consultant Spinal Neurosurgeon, Cardiff &
- Vale NHS Trust at University Hospital at Llandough &
Insurers Mr Iqroop Chopra works with
Mr Iqroop Chopra works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Iqroop Chopra does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Iqroop Chopra does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Iqroop Chopra does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.