Mr. Iqroop Chopra is a Consultant Spinal Surgeon based in Cardiff who specialises in non-operative and operative management of spinal conditions. Mr Chopra has been a full time consultant at Cardiff & Vale since 2007 with practice privileges at Nuffield Vale hospital.
A spinal fellowship trained neurosurgeon, Mr Chopra trained in London at tertiary neurosurgical and orthopaedic hospitals. He works at the Nuffield Health South Wales Spinal Centre, and is qualified to look at spinal pathology from both an orthopaedic and a neurosurgical perspective. This unique dual perspective is an important aspect of the South Wales Spinal Centre team approach, comprising of three other orthopaedic spinal surgeons, who accurately investigate, diagnose, treat and rehabilitate the entire spectrum of spinal conditions.
Since most spinal conditions do not require surgery, Mr. Chopra is also able to treat a range of spinal disorders without surgery by working closely with radiologists, physiotherapists and pain management specialists. Surgically, he has specific expertise in minimally invasive surgery. This includes the use of the microscope for carrying out lumbar microdiscectomy, decompressive surgery, neck and back spinal fusions, artificial disc replacements, and further intrinsic dissection around the nerves for tumours.
For the past five years, Mr Chopra has been involved with Spineaid, a charity involved with treating spinal deformity in children and young adults in India. What started as a desire to give back to the system has turned into a passion to treat deserving poor patients with deformity with an objective to further help establish centres offering spinal intervention to patients unable to afford such surgery.
At Nuffield Health’s Cardiff Bay Hospital Mr. Chopra runs a one-stop injection clinic for back/leg pain and neck/arm pain. He explains the concept of the clinic, “Typically, you would see your spinal consultant for a clinical examination, and then have an MRI scan. After your MRI scan often you immediately go back to see the consultant to talk through your results. If appropriate, your consultant will discuss with you the option of having injection therapy. This could be a Facet Joint Injection, Nerve Root Block, or SI Joint Injections can then carried out on the same day by the surgeon or a Consultant Radiologist.”
- Neck pain and Brachalgia (radiating arm pain)
- Back pain and Sciatica.
- Radiculopathy and Myelopathy.
- Slip disc (prolapsed) and canal stenosis.
- Spinal infection, trauma, tumour.
- Minimally invasisve surgery including microscopic surgery.
- Artificial disc replacement.
- Fusion surgery for deformity.
- Soft and dynamic stabilisation.
- Chiari malformation and tethered cord
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Iqroop Chopra at Nuffield Health
- Cervical Spine Surgery
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Degenerative cervical disc disease, fusion verses arthroplastly
- Neural tissue regeneration
- Spinal outcome assessment.
- Motion preservation and dynamic stabilisation.
- Research thesis on Anterior cervical fusion and endoscopy.
- Book chapters on micro-discectomy and spinal surgery.
- Over 20 published papers, abstracts in various peer reviewed journals.
- Neurosurgery Specialist Register
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons
Other post held
- Consultant Spinal Neurosurgeon, Cardiff &
- Vale NHS Trust at University Hospital at Llandough &
Insurers Mr Iqroop Chopra works with
Mr Iqroop Chopra works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Iqroop Chopra does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Iqroop Chopra does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Iqroop Chopra does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.