Mr Pitman's basic surgical and orthopaedic training was in South Wales prior to specialist orthopaedic training in the West Midlands deanery. In addition to this he completed Spinal Fellowships at the University Hospital North Staffordshire and at North Bristol NHS Trust. He also undertook visitations to Miami and Florida Celebration Hospital, Orlando, USA.
Mr Pitman undertakes practice in a full range of adult spinal conditions. He is particularly interested in both surgical and non operative management of sciatica, back pain, arm pain and neck pain. He undertakes a number of microsurgical procedures including minimally invasive decompressions, microdiscectomy, cervical discectomy and cervical foraminotomy.
As well as fusion surgery and disc replacement surgery. He has gained expertise in conservative management of back pain and sciatica undertaking injection treatments including nerve root blocks, facet joint blocks and image guided epidurals.
Mr Pitman's special clinical interests include:
- Microsurgical techniques
- Spinal stenosis and low back pain treatments
- Lumbar decompressions, fusions and disc replacements
- Spinal trauma
- Infection and tumour control
Mr Pitman is married with two children and lives in a 16th century barn which he converted from a derelict state. He is interested in rugby and enjoys spending what free time he has with his family.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Ian Pitman at Nuffield Health
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery
- Lumbar discectomy
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Spinal (lumbar) Decompression
- Image guided joint injections
- Facet joint injections
- Cervical Disc Replacement
- Degenerative Disease Lumbar Spine
- Motion preserving techniques Cervical Spine
- British Medical Association
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association of Spinal Surgeons
- Royal College of Surgeons
Other post held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, MHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham.
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Nuffield Health Hereford Hospital
Insurers Mr Ian Pitman works with
Mr Ian Pitman works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr Ian Pitman does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ian Pitman does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ian Pitman does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.