Mr Iain Packham is a Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery with a specialist interest in shoulder and elbow problems and their treatment, both non-operative and surgical.
Mr Packham is a consultant at North Bristol NHS Trust, where he works in the Avon Orthopaedic Centre and the regional Major Trauma Centre. He is the regional Postgraduate tutor for Trauma and Orthopaedics.
Mr Packham trained at Nottingham University before undertaking his Surgical Training in the London region. He has undertaken Fellowships at The Cape Shoulder Institute, Cape Town, and The Australian Institute of Musculoskeletal Surgery, Sydney, with a focus on the arthroscopic treatment of sports injuries and complex shoulder reconstruction.
Mr Packham has an active research interest including shoulder dislocations, rotator cuff repair surgery, clavicle and humeral fractures, acromioclavicular joint (ACJ) injuries and shoulder replacement surgery.
Mr Packham has a keen interest in patient safety, and was the Chair of the Clinical Risk Committee at North Bristol NHS Trust.
Shoulder problems (operative and non-operative management):
- Shoulder rotator cuff tendon surgery
- Shoulder stabilisation surgery
- Shoulder replacement surgery
Iain is married with two teenage sons. He maintains a keen sporting interest and has been involved
competitively in a number of sports including athletics and rugby. He has
international qualifications in sailing (RYA) and Scuba diving (PADI), and is
a qualified ski instructor (BASI).
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Iain Packham at Nuffield Health
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Shoulder decompression - keyhole surgery
- Shoulder replacement
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Shoulder Stabilisation
- Subacromial balloon spacer for irreparable rotator cuff tears of the shoulder (START:REACTS): a group-sequential, double-blind, multicentre randomised controlled trial. Metcalfe et al on behalf of the STARTS:REACT Team. Volume 399, Issue 10339, 21–27 May 2022, Pages 1954-1963.
- Reducing unnecessary fixation of midshaft clavicle fractures.
- Murray NJ, Johnson T, Packham IN, Crowther MAA, Chesser TJS. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2021 Sep 3.
- Predictors of mortality following shoulder arthroplasty. Dacombe P, Harries L, McCann P, Crowther M, Packham I, Sarangi P, Whitehouse MR. J Orthop. 2020 May 4;22:179-183.
- Predictors of length of stay following shoulder arthroplasty in a high-volume UK centre. Dacombe P, Harries L, McCann P, Crowther M, Packham I, Sarangi P, Whitehouse MR. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2020 Apr 17:1-6.
- Blood transfusion rates following shoulder arthroplasty in a high volume UK centre and analysis of risk factors associated with transfusion. Dacombe PJ, Kendall JV, McCann P, Packham IN, Sarangi PP, Whitehouse MR, Crowther MA. Shoulder Elbow. 2019 Jul;11(2 Suppl):67-72. Epub 2018 May 14.
- Blood transfusion rates following shoulder arthroplasty in a high volume UK centre and analysis of risk factors associated with transfusion. Shoulder and Elbow (accepted).
- The management of bilateral posterior fracture dislocations of the shoulder: a case series illustrating management options. Shoulder and Elbow. April 2016; vol 8, 2 pp. 111-117.
- Proximity of the axillary nerve during bicortical drilling for biceps tenodesis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2014 Aug 10. Epub 2014 Aug.
- Pectoralis major tendon repair: a biomechanics study of sture button versus transosseous suture techniques. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2014 May 4. Epub 2014 May 4.
- Proximity of axillary nerve during cortical button repair of pectoralis major tendon rupture. Shoulder and Elbow. ePub Sept 2013.
- Open reduction and plate fixation versus nonoperative treatment for displaced midshaft clavicular fractures: a multicenter, randomized, controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Sep 4;95(17):1576-84.
- First time traumatic anterior shoulder dislocation: a review of current management. Injury. 2013 Apr;44(4):406-8.
- Conservative management versus open reduction and internal fixation for mid-shaft clavicle fractures in adults-the Clavicle Trial: study protocol for a multicentre randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2011 Feb 28;12:57.
- Avulsion of the proximal hamstring origin. Surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Oct 1;91 Suppl.
- Fellow of the British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS)
- European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA)
- Affiliate Member of the International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
Other posts held
- Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedics at North Bristol NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Iain Packham works with
Mr Iain Packham works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Bupa On Demand
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Iain Packham does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Iain Packham does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Iain Packham does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.