Mr Cox is an upper limb consultant surgeon who specialises in treating shoulder, elbow and hand conditions, using ‘keyhole’ and ‘open’ surgical techniques.
He graduated from the University of Nottingham in 2003 and completed his specialist orthopaedic training in Hampshire and Oxfordshire. He was awarded specialist upper limb fellowships at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Hospital in Oxford and at the University Hospital Southampton. He was appointed as an upper limb consultant to the University Hospital Southampton in 2016.
He is the Trauma & Orthopaedic lead for undergraduate students at the University of Southampton and is passionate regarding the teaching of trauma care, which he has undertaken in the UK and Africa.
In his spare time, he enjoys running and spending time with his young family in the Hampshire countryside.
Mr Cox specialises in the following treatments at the Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital:
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Shoulder tendinopathy and rotator cuff tears
- Shoulder instability
- Shoulder arthritis
- Tennis / Golfers elbow
- Elbow arthritis
- Nerve compression in the upper limb
Running and spending time with family
Treatments and tests offered by Mr George Louis Daniel Cox at Nuffield Health
- Bone Graft
- Cartilage reconstruction
- Cartilage resurfacing
- Dupuytren's fasciectomy
- Elbow surgery
- Hand surgery
- Image guided joint injections
- Joint resurfacing
- Shoulder decompression - key hole surgery
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Tennis elbow release
- Trauma reconstruction
- Trauma Surgery
Mr Cox has published over 30 peer-reviewed papers. He was awarded a Medical Doctorate for research from Leeds University regarding his work on mesenchymal stem cells. He is currently a reviewer for the Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons and primary investigator for national research trials.
A selection of publications is shown below:
- Book Chapters - Cox G, Rees JL. The Shoulder. In: Hochberg MC, Silman AJ, Smolen JS, Weinblatt ME, Weisman WH editors. Rheumatology, vol 7 – in press
- Papers - Patient Satisfaction and Patient Reported Outcome Measure Data in Arthroscopic Release of Frozen Shoulder. Ray RK, Patel A, Cox G, Cole A. Orthopedics & Rheumatology. 2015. 1(1)
- High abundance of CD271(+) multipotential stromal cells (MSCs) in intramedullary cavities of long bones. Cox G, Boxall SA, Giannoudis PV, Buckley CT, Roshdy T, Churchman SM, McGonagle D, Jones E. Bone. 2012. 50(2):510-7
- The reamer-irrigator-aspirator (RIA): A harvester of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). Cox G, McGonagle D, Boxall S, Buckley CT, Jones E, Giannoudis PV. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011. 93(4):517-24
- Bone-turnover markers in fracture healing. Cox G, Einhorn TA, Tzioupis C, Giannoudis PV. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010. 92(3):329-34.
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society
Other post held
- Orthopaedic and Trauma Consultant Surgeon with specialist upper limb interest at The University Hospital of Southampton
Insurers Mr George Louis Daniel Cox works with
Mr George Louis Daniel Cox works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Bupa On Demand
Mr George Louis Daniel Cox does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr George Louis Daniel Cox does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr George Louis Daniel Cox does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.