Mr Dermot Burke
MB ChB, FRCS, PhD
GMC number: 3168790
Practicing since: 1986
- Weekly Monday Evening
Or call us on
Mr Burke qualified in medicine at the University of Manchester and completed his surgical training in London, including a fellowship at the specialist centre for bowel diseases, St Marks Hospital in London.
He works in the NHS at the John Goligher Colorectal Unit at St James University Hospital, where he is the lead surgeon for the Intestinal failure service, receiving referrals from throughout Yorkshire. He is a core member of the Leeds Bowel Cancer Multidisciplinary team (MDT), which sees approximately 400 bowel cancer referrals a year.
Mr Burke offers a general surgical and coloproctology service with the particular area of expertise in bowel problems. His main areas of interest are advanced laparoscopic (keyhole) techniques in the treatment of colonic and rectal (bowel) cancer, as well as specialist diseases of the anus and anal canal including haemorrhoids (piles), fissures and fistula.
Mr Burke offers a comprehensive approach to the management of abdominal and groin hernias.
- Laparoscopic (keyhole) techniques in the treatment of colonic and rectal (bowel) disease e.g.cancer, diverticulitis
- Specialist disease of the anus and anal canal e.g. haemorrhoids (piles), fissures , fistula
- Abdominal hernias
- Intestinal failure and parenteral nutrition
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Dermot Burke at Nuffield Health
- Open surgery groin hernia repair
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Stoma surgery
- Ileal pouch anal anastomosis
- Capsule endoscopy
- Abdominoperineal resection
- Hernia repair
- Colorectal surgery
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Rectal prolapse repair
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Bilateral (inguinal) hernia repair
Locations Mr Dermot Burke works with
Widely published in aspects of colorectal disease
- Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
- Society of Academic and Research Surgery
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Cancer Surgeons
- British Association of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
Other posts held
- Consultant Surgeon, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (St James’s)
- Senior Lecturer in Surgery, University of Leeds
Insurers Mr Dermot Burke works with
Mr Dermot Burke works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
Mr Dermot Burke does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Dermot Burke does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Dermot Burke does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.