Mr Dave Duffy is a specialist knee surgeon with over nine years of experience and is recognised as an expert in his field. Alongside his special interest in all forms of joint replacement surgery of the knee, he also has vast knowledge and experience in ACL reconstruction and arthroscopic surgery. Regularly treating elite and professional athletes, including Premier League footballers, he has a particular expertise in sports injuries. These include knee ligament reconstruction, meniscal (cartilage) surgery and isolated chondral injuries.
He is one of only 5% of knee surgeons in the UK performing more than 50 partial knee replacements per year.
After graduating in Medicine at Newcastle University, Mr Duffy spent several years training as a junior doctor in Australia. He spent part of this time in the outback of Queensland and worked in the Emergency Department of the mining town of Mount Isa. From here he ventured to the isolated Aboriginal reserves of Mornington Island (off the north coast of Australia) and Doomage, as the lone medical practitioner – this he describes as a true life-changing experience.
Following further Intensive Care training in Brisbane, Mr Duffy returned to the UK to pursue his passion for Orthopaedic Surgery and undertook specialist training in Yorkshire.
His expertise in knee surgery was gained from renowned UK & Australian fellowship posts:
• Australia (Brisbane Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine Clinic). Working with leading knee surgeons, Dr Peter Myers and Dr Peter McMeniman, where he gained experience in treating elite sports athletes
He worked as a consultant at Wrightington Hospital’s Orthopaedic Centre of Excellence, before moving to Harrogate in 2011. He has been the Clinical Lead for Orthopaedics here since 2016. Mr Duffy's practice also extends into the Leeds area, where he holds various outreach clinics and has private consulting rooms at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital.
- Partial and Total Knee Replacement
- Ligament Reconstruction
- Sports injuries
- All forms of joint replacement surgery of the knee
- Sports injuries, including knee ligament reconstruction, meniscal (cartilage) surgery and isolated chondral injuries
- ACL & PCL reconstruction and arthroscopic surgery
Treatments and tests offered by Mr David Duffy at Nuffield Health
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee surgery (ACL repair)
- Knee replacement
- Cartilage resurfacing
- Knee arthroscopy
- Joint resurfacing
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Patella stabilisation
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
- Cartilage reconstruction
Dave maintains an active interest in education and is a clinical supervisor for junior doctors. He is a regular faculty member who teaches on national and international courses for training Orthopaedic Surgeons, ligament reconstruction and partial knee replacement surgery.
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Royal College of Surgeons
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Knee Surgeon, Harrogate District Hospital
- Clinical Lead for Orthopaedics, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Mr David Duffy works with
Mr David Duffy works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr David Duffy does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr David Duffy does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr David Duffy does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.