Damian Clark is a Consultant Orthopaedic Knee and Trauma Surgeon. He regularly cares for soft tissue and bone injuries, sporting injuries and chronic disease.
He performs surgery for various knee ligament injuries, including ACL rupture. He also treats meniscal injuries, the knee’s shock absorber, with repairs or partial excisions where required. When damage to the joint surface is irreparable, Mr Clark also undertakes knee replacement surgery. He has an interest in treating unstable knees, particularly knee cap instability and pain.
Having attended secondary school in Bristol and then medical school at Kings College London, Mr Clark completed further training with the University of Swansea and the University of Bristol and undertook specialist training at the Severn Deanery training programme. He was awarded Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons and the European Fellowship in 2013.
Mr Clark has also completed fellowships in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom and was the most highly awarded fellow in his Canadian cohort, receiving two fellowship prizes in that year for best surgeon’s research.
Although he undertakes this surgery on a regular basis, Mr Clark appreciates that this is not a routine experience for you. He will do his utmost to answer all your questions.
- Consultant Knee and Trauma Surgeon, Southmead Hospital
Knee pain and instability
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons
• Patella instability
• Sports injuries
• “Norman Schachar Research Award”. 1st place, University of Calgary. 2017.
• “Norman Schachar Research Award”. 3rd place, University of Calgary. 2017.
• British Association of Surgery of the Knee essay prize. 2016.
• ‘Above and Beyond Charity’ research prize. Patellar Arthroplasty research. 2009.
A Selection of publications:
• Clark D, Uphadyay N, Gillespie G, Wakeley C, Eldridge J. The correct rotation of the femoral component in patellofemoral replacement: a simple and precise technique. JBJS (Br) Dec 2012 PMID: 23188904.
• Metcalfe A, Clark D, Kemp M, Eldridge J. The Bristol Experience of the Bereiter Trochleoplasty: Indications and Technique. Op Tech Spor Med. Vol 23, (2), 2015;123–128.
• Clark D, Simpson D, Eldridge J, Colborne B. Patella instability and quadriceps avoidance affects walking knee moments. The knee. Knee. 2016 Jan;23(1):78-84.
• Conchie H, Clark D, Metcalfe A, Eldridge J, Whitehouse M. Adolescent knee pain and patellar dislocations are associated with patellofemoral osteoarthritis in adulthood: A case control study. Knee. 2016 Aug;23(4):708-11
• Clark D, Metcalfe A, Mandalia V, Wogan, C, Eldridge J. Current Concepts Review: Adolescent Patella Instability. Challenges and Management Options. BJJ. 2016
DeclarationMr Damian Clark works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Damian Clark does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Damian Clark does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Damian Clark does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.